Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XP will not load to login screen

Hello, the computer in question is listed in my sig...basically windows will start to load and just stay there with the XP screen and the activity bar moving across forever, it never gets to the login screen. Computer post shows all HD SMART reporting OK, computer has been runing well since I built it some 2 years ago. No new programs have been recently been added, computer is firewalled and has virus protection which was recently updated and run...results were clean. Computer will also not allow me to run Maxtor's powermax on 3.5 disk. While the computer is trying to load windows the HD activity light is always on, rarely does it blink.....eventually after about 20-30 min of this the computer will spontaneously reboot and start the process all over again. Sadley I'm on Jury duty and don't have much time to troubleshoot myself....any suggestions would be apperciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the exact same problem except I have an Asus K8N-E Deluxe and an AMD Athlon 64 3400+. Right before the system started acting up, I noticed that the mobo lost connection with the cable modem via ethernet. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the activity lights on the ethernet port were not on. The desktop icons I had (Explorer, Firefox, Napster, BF2, Steam, etc.) turned into a generic "cannot display thumbnail" type image. Like when you have a file for a program that you do not have installed. After that within seconds my system froze. After I rebooted the system, it never booted up to the OS. It kept on looping to the bios screen, "Windows loading", then reboot all over again.
It is really quite frustrating. I attempted for about 2 weeks, (after work, days off), to fix by reinstalling windows, and was never successful. I searched on the ASUS website for help with no luck. I came here found a couple people with the same issue. I decided to call ASUS and RMA the board for repair. I know that they replaced ALL the SATA connectors and gave the board a new Ethernet port, but who knows what else they did. I hear Asus is not the great mobo maker they used to be. I hear this from computer engineers, repair techs, system analysts, and hardcore gamers. The better board maker these days is MSI, they seem to have come a long way to deliver a solid board. My next system will be made with an MSI mobo no doubt.
Email Asus and send them your board with a note describing the problem and your complete specs. They take about 10-12 days but it will come back in "good as new" condition, guaranteed.
Hope this helps somewhat...
Peace

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply and ideas RevolutiOn ! I bit the bullet and tore everything apart to troubleshoot....I suspected the HD to be at fault, and I was right....I pulled all the HD's out and pluged them in one by one to see if the cable was bad, lo and behold the sata cables were fine and I could boot from another spare disk I had....everything on the mobo checks out ok, so I ordered a new drive and will send the bad one for repair on warrrenty. Funny though, the HD was not symtomatic of trouble, made no strange sounds etc....I believe the sata connecion is loose on the drive itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.