Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Xp doesn't boot

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX280 (not a standing case, but laid out) and XP won't boot to Windows. It freezes at the Windows loading screen w/ the green bar, except it's extremely dim and the green loading bar isn't moving. I can boot to safe mode fine.

I've tried a XP re-install from CD and the CD freezes at the "Setup is loading Windows" step after it loads the files and drivers.

I've tried switching from the video card to on board video, both still give me the problem.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
try fixing the master boot record and see if that helps. boot up with the windows xp cd and then on the main console, choose repair.

then the computer will ask you for an admin password but if you dont have one, simply just hit enter to skip the process. then on C: type in "fixmbr" or "fixboot", both commands are the same thing and type either one without the "". it should only take a second after this is finish, reboot the computer and boot into windows normally. good luck and post back if you have more errors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would advised FDISK the computer using a 98 boot disk www.bootdisk.com
try loading again if it freezes then maby looking at a RAM problem also so try swapping RAM if you can another thing wich can cause these kind of problems is USB ports unplug any USB devices and check the actual USB ports!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Take a look at the hard drive, jot down the manufacturer and model. You can use the manufacturers diagnostic utility to check the intergrity of the drive.

Check Here for your manufacturers link

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm running a Dell Diagnostics disc right now, and it'll take a long while... but I'll be sure to try out your recommendations.

I have an NTFS partition, so would fixboot really do anything?

Also, I only have USB ports, and no ps/2 ports

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.