Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

When we turn my computer on, a Pentium 4, 3.2ghz with ATI Radeon 9250 128mb Graphics card. The Pentium 4 logo appears, the computer then starts to progressively get quieter, it stays on the Pentium 4 screen probably for 4-5 minutes. When XP boots up, it loads the XP Screen as normal (but still, a little slower) until the login screen appears, then everything loads fast as normal.

This is really annoying, I can no longer just turn the computer on and use it, it has to be a routine! It's like downloading on 56k! :-D

Would appreciate any help, many thanks.

Adam

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
in the run box type
msconfig
and press enter
click on the startup tab and untick anything you do not need on startup
then reboot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers, no fix in the msconfig startup,

How do I get to BIOS? And see quick startup?

I have a feeling it's not to do with Windows, as the problem is before Windows loads and I can actually hear the computer powering down as it boots up.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
is it the same in safe mode
if not then untick all the boxes in startup
if it boots normally,retick them one by ane restarting between each until you isolate the one causing it

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
When you turn on your computer you should either see a logo (splash screen) or your system details. If you see the logo press tab to see the system details - your computer is doing a Power On Self Test (POST) here and you should see options to get into the BIOS, it's usually by pressing F1 or Del but could vary depending on your motherboard. Your motherboard manual will tell you all this and will also guide you through the menus so that you can find the quick boot option.

DO NOT do anything you are unsure about in the BIOS, it could potentially be very damaging. If you think you have changed options you can exit without saving and return to make the appropriate changes later.

Please don't hesitate to post back if you have further questions Adam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

I tried peoples suggestions of various things in msconfig, all to no avail. The computer starts acting slow, soon as you press the On button, before Windows is loaded.

When I turn it on, Pentium 4 splash screen comes up (No settings shown) - The pentium 4 splash screen stays there for 4 minutes instead of 4 seconds.

Motherboard info:
Motherboard ID 01/29/2004-Springdale-G-6A79AM4DC-00
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6747/MS-7012

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php

-----------------

It is almost like my PC is being set to do the exact same bootup but at a slower speed. A hardware problem?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Did you try to get into the BIOS?

Do you get any beeps from the computer when you turn it on? It could be a hardware problem, try using just one stick of RAM at a time. If that fails change the slot the one stick is in then change the stick and try the slots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do I want quick boot to be enabled or not.

One bizarre thing, I do have 2 sticks of 512 and 2 sticks of 256mb which makes an uneven memory, is this bad?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.