Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WinXP DNS problem - any ideas??

Looking for suggestions/solutions to an issue I have run into.

Working on a desktop with XP Home SP2 which DNS has a problem. No problem with the IP addessing, DHCP or DNS addresses.

I can ping everything by IP address, but nothing by name.

Have also manually entered the DNS servers, which are good and other machines on this network have no issues. Still no go.

Everything works fine in Safe Mode with Networking.

Have noticed that I can ping by name as machine is booting, however, once machine has fully booted, I cannot ping by name, only IP address.

Have checked for spyware/malware however, not much to find and it was cleaned up.

Lasy "Known Good Config" did not seem to sort issue.

Something appears to be conflicting, corrupting, interfering with the IP Stack or DNS once machine has fully booted. I have looked at running processes and killed quite a few but have not found the culprit yet.

Problem appeared shortly after SP2 was installed, however, cannot tell if SP2 was directly responsible.

Looking for ideas or next direction to head.

Flush DNS?
HiJack This?
Unload SP2?
Winsock repair?
Windows restore?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

JamesO

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's gotta be something simple, James. DON'T DO ANYTHING EXTREME! You'll regret it later. Approach this coolly and carefully and you'll get to a nice solution.

To help more, I'd need to know a lot more about your system. Start by opening a console window and giving the command "ipconfig /all" and copying and pasting all the results into a reply to this post.

Then again in the console, do a "ping google.com", let it fully complete (four pings or errors), and paste the results.

Then do a "ping 216.239.37.99" (that's "google.com"). Paste the results. I know you've said this will work but I want to see the results with something simple and known.

Also do a "route print" and paste the results.

We'll go from there.

One thing to check: In your Network Connections control panel, make sure you have no "bridges" (disable them if they exist), and "disable" any network connection that's not the one you intend to use.

Always follow The Inspector's first rule of networking: NEVER RUN THE MICROSOFT NETWORK CONNECTION WIZARD! I've never seen it work.

- The Inspector

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gday,
James I would just check that your workgroup name hasn`t changed make sure you are still in the same workgroup. I had a similar problem and found it was just the workgroup name had changed. I agree with the inspector network wizard was useless for me.

Cheers.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
James, have you tried these two fixes?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I will not have my hands back on the machine for a few more days.

I am going to start with the easy stuff first:
Flush DNS
Check the host files
Then probably the TCP/IP stack repair if the first few items do not solve the problem.

JamesO

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's an update.

Still no go.

In Safe Mode, flushed the DNS.
Checked the host files and they are all intact and look good.
Did the Winsock2 repair, this did not solve the problem.
Ran Tend Online scans and found a few issues, too care of these.

Found something interesting when in normal mode, I was unable to flush the DNS and unable to perform a Network Connection Repair. When I tried to flush the DNS, had a error message "Cannot locate DNS cache". Same type of problem when attempting Network Connection Repair. It seems there is a process that starts in normal mode that is masking or turning off the DNS cache or DNS process.

It appears to be one of the last processes loaded during start up. Still unable to indentify at the moment. I can ping by www.xyz.com until the machine is fully booted??

Still on the hunt for this strange problem that is a real PITA.

JamesO

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
James, I'd consider posting a Hijackthis log, it sounds like something has you by the short hairs. :smile:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on this issue, still have not fully sorted the issue.

It appears to be a problem with Norton Internet Security. Problem, not my machine, someone enable Parental Controls and does not have the password.

Went into msconfig, disabled ccapp from start up. I could ping by www address, I thought I had it sorted, however, no browsers worked. Probably because Norton decided if Parental Controls is enabled, this would be a back door, so they disable the browsers??

Anyway I has sent info to Norton 3 days ago without a response as of yet. Did not expect much from Norton, but will need to wait and see.

JamesO

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I think it's time for a manual uninstall of everything Norton! I've dumped all of my Symantec applications except Partition Magic, and I'm sure any new releases of that will be screwed up now that Symantec owns it. They have really turned into a bloatware company. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!! finally resolved!!

Sorry for the delay getting back to this issue, this was not one of my machines so I was unable to get my hands on it for a while.

Well it did turn out to be Norton, appears to have been some firewall issue with the SP2 update?? Problem was Norton was all locked up and password protected by a single user account that was also password protected. Could not even unload Norton with it password protected! Using MSCONFIG and shutting down Norton during start up actually killed all TCP/IP, could not even ping by address. Curious if Norton covered this back door on purpose or was just by accident??

Once we finally get a hold of the user account password, disabled the Norton firewall in NIS, everything was fine. Re-enabled the firewall, everything was fine. Seems that we just needed to "toogle" the firewall once!!

Well once I knew everything was working well, deleted Norton and installed Zone Alarm free firewall and AVG Free and everything is working as expected.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

JamesO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.