Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows XP Pro Installation Problem

Ok, I'm trying to install Windows XP on a Pentium 4 system, the specs of which are:

Matsonic MS9127C Motherboard
VIA PX400 Chipset
Intel Pentium 4 2GHZ Processor
Centon PC3200 DDR400 256MB Ram
PNY GeForceFX5200 128mb 8x AGP Video Card
MAxtor 80GB HD
Onboard Audio and LAN
Onboard USB 2.0

During the first part of the installation, I get a blue STOP screen while it's copying drivers. The screen says that the BIOS are non-ACPI compatible, and says that I can press F7 to disable ACPI during setup. I do this, and am able to advance past this screen. Once the first part of the setup finishes, the system restarts, and attempts to resume the second part of the installation. However, it locks up here, before the installation begins. The blue background comes up, but nothing more. Any ideas as to why setup is locking at this point? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add on to my original post, I have tried different sticks of RAM, different HD's, different video cards, etc., all to no avail. I'v also tried the method of unplugging any non-essential eqipment, also to no avail. Oddly enough, I built a system previous to this one using the same motherboard, but a slightly different configuration. I attempted to imitate that configuration in this system, thankfully I was able to find the same parts, but that didn't work either. The only things that differ between this current system and the last one is the case and power supply, the video card, and the ram. As I said though, even using the same exact parts I'd used in that other system did not solve my problem.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Since you probably have an older BIOS, it would be my best guess that you need to update your BIOS to a current version. Some of the Older BIOS versions will not recognize the newer hardware. Check the website of your motherboard manufacturer for the update.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already tried that as well. Even before I tried doing that I knew that the BIOS was not the problem because this issue did not occur on the other system I had built, which is identical to this one.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
This mobo is ACPI compatible, looks like the BIOS needs to be reset.
Unplug AC, jumper to clear cmos for minute then reset jumper. Start up and go into bios (del key) and set to Load Fail-Safe Defaults.

Then navigate thru menu and verify ...
Advanced BIOS Features
HDD S.M.A.R.T Capability: enabled {using 80 conductor data cable right?}

Advanced Chipset Features
DRAM Timing: By SPD

Integrated Peripherals
Init Display First: AGP (else PCI Slot)

Power Management
ACPI Function (Enabled)

PNP/PCI Configurations
PNP OS Installed: yes
Reset Configuration Data: enabled (one time that clears cmos then resets to Disabled)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, when I pressed F5, it brought up a message stating that either setup could not identify my system, or I chose to manually identify it. It gives me two options:

1. System with C-Step i486
2. Other

Which should I choose?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stu, I tried your F5 idea, and it did not solve the problem. Choosing option 1 caused it to freeze before it even got to the point where it formats the drive, creates a partition, and copies setup files. Choosing option 2 prompted it to ask me for a floppy disk, which I do not have, as no such disk came with the Mobo. After trying that, I cleared the BIOS once again just to se what happened, and the problem persisted. Does anyone know where else I can go from here? Again, I very much appreciate any help.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
1. System with C-Step i486
2. Other
Use the up arrow key to show the rest of the menu, will look something like this...

• ACPI Multiprocessor PC

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC {use this one if available}

Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC

MPS Uniprocessor PC

MPS Multiprocessor PC

Standard PC

Standard PC with C-Step i486

Other

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried both the ACPI PC option and the ACPI uniprocessor option, both of which resulted in the blue screen stating that my mobo is not ACPI complaint.

I want to reiterate for a moment that this blue screen is not my problem. I can get past this. It's after I get past this that my problem occurs. After the HD is formatted and the setup files are copied, the system will restart. The Windows XP screen will appear, and everything looks to be running smoothly, until it gets to the next screen. This is where setup is supposed to begin. Instead, the system locks here. As I said, the blue background does appear, but shortly after all activity appears to cease, and the setup does not begin.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Windows is building the HAL based on the settings in BIOS/ESCD, which it isn't reading properly.

The alternative is to do as described in post #5 but disable ACPI, which means you will only have 15 IRQs available since APIC (23 IRQs) is only available through ACPI. (Then use F7 key to skip acpi if prompted).

When saving/exiting bios if post doesn't show message 'ESCD updated' then shutdown wait a minute then restart to make sure windows is getting a clean ESCD.

That means the HAL will be built without ACPI and you can't change BIOS ACPI setting to enabled after OS installed as it will crash the system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's fine. Like I said, I've already found my way around the ACPI issue. The problem I can't figure out for the life of me is the crash at the Windows XP installation screen. I can get evrything else done up until then (formating, partitioning, copying setup files), but wjen setup should begin, after the restart, it freezes.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Download and run Memtest86 to see if the ram is working okay with this system.

copying files doesn't tax it much, but it's used intensively to build the OS, so it's common to freeze at this point if ram problem.
(might not be the ram itself, but could be another indicator the mobo is pooched)

What's the details on the power supply? (also possible problem)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think its a ram problem. I've tried two or three different sticks of ram, all with the same result. Also, I tried a stick of ram I had in an identical system, and it didn't work either. But for whatever reason, that same stick of ram worked in an identical system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The power supply is a 350 watt. It came with the case, and both are kind of cheap and flimsy if you know what I mean, but I've had other systems in this case, and all have worked ok, so I'm not too sure the PS is to blame. I will try that memtest you suggested in the morning and see what that turns up

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I haven't tried memtest86 yet, but in the meantime if anyone else can help, I would really appreciate it. As I said earlier to Stu, the ACPI problem I can get around. What I need to figure out is why the system locks up when it gets to the graphic portion of the installation. As I said, the installation doesn't even begin....the blueish background appears, but nothing more, and all activity in the CD-ROM and HD appears to cease.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.