Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my daughter has a new computer from christmas, it has been working fine until today, I tried to turn it on and windows starts its initial loading bar, but then a blue sceen comes up with writing, you cant read it because it flashes on then straight off, and continues to loading options, eg : safe, last known config etc, but what ever you choose it just starts the cycle again.

Any ideas. Thanks:mad:

·
Registered
47 Posts
On that booting options screen choose:

Disable autostarting if that is one of your options. This way the computer will stall on a blue screen instead. Write down what it says on this blue screen and post it back here.

If that is not one of your options, choose: Last known good configuration. If that does not work, try Safe mode. If safe mode works go to:

Start > Right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Start up and Recovery Settings button

Uncheck Automatically restart

Reboot the computer and you will probably get a blue screen. Again, the answer lies on this blue screen, write it down and post it here.

If none of the above works:

First Thing I would do is to try to run a fixboot and/or a fixmbr (fix master boot record) ,

to do this, boot to the recovery console (boot with the windows disk then at the blue screen hit "r"), then once in the recovery console, to run fixmbr (fix master boot record) , type:

fixmbr

to run fixboot type:

fixboot

If that doesn't work, you could try to repair the ntldr (the ntldr is the boot loader) and the ntdetect.com (the ntdetect.com is responsible for detecting basic hardware)

to do this, boot to the recovery console (boot with the windows disk then at the blue screen hit "r"), then once in the recovery console, type (note my CD Drive is letter D: so change this to whatever your CD Drive is and my Windows is on C: so change that drive to whatever your Windows is on):

copy D:/i386/ntldr C:
(then hit enter, if it asks you if you want to replace a file, say yes)

copy D:/i386/ntdetect.com C:
(then hit enter, if it asks you if you want to replace a file, say yes)

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right I managed to hold the blue screen as you said.
It says in brief.
Unmountable_boot_volume
If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart computer etc.........

Technical Info

**** stop : 0x000000ED
(0x8991DA68,0XC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
You will get a dos prompt
Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
"Y" and enter at the prompt
Then type "exit" and hit enter
The system will now reboot into Windows

Regards,

Brandon

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi thanks for your help, I investigated the errors as you said on the blue scren, I searched the internet and was also advised to type CHKdsK /r this worked, and I am now typing on said computer, just dont know why this happened. prior to turning off the pc i unplugged the wireless router sender, not sure if this could cause this but alls well now.
Thanks for your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.