Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows Media Player Error

Hi,

I recently formatted and installed Win XP Pro on my PC. However, since then I'm unable to play DVD's on my DVD drive. I get the message "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer". :4-dontkno I have Media Player Ver.8.0 currently installed.

I tried doing downloading/updating the decoder but it seems they all want money.

Looking forward to your help.

Regards,

Josh

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did that. no go.

Updated to ver.10. I'm still getting the same error, "a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer." :sayno:

·
Registered
31 Posts
deepbluesand said:
Updated to ver.10. I'm still getting the same error, "a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer." :sayno:
I think this is microsoft being tight and not including a DVD decoder with WMP.

I can watch DVDs with WMP on mine but I think its cause I've got PowerDVD and DVDExpress installed.

If you end up having to spend money you could do worse than PowerDVD - I've been using it's various versions ever since I first got a Pc with a DVD-rom (Jan 1999) and although I have tried one or two others I've always preferred PowerDVD for Playback quality. WMP cant compare.

You could always try a Demo of PowerDVD (or other DVD playback software?)- because it may allow you to use WMP but may well lock the Decoder when it time expires.

Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did just what you suggested Lee. I downloaded a trial version for NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder. And, WMP works just fine now. Of course, it's gonna lock up after 30 days. I'll go on looking for a free one if available. I'll also keep in mind your recommendation for PowerDVD.

Thanks. :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.