Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
windows explorer not working properly

i have just formatted comp. window explorer isn't allowing me to create new folders. i have tried right clicking on the desktop to create a new folder there. i have tried right clicking on the explorer window when viewing something in it. i have tried clicking on the file option at the top of the window. the option is just not there. i have also tried while in wordpad to create new folder to save something and and while the button is there is does nothing. dows any one have any ideas about what to do. i haven't done any updates yet, i want to get the comp working properly before i update things.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Try creating a new folder in DOS mode:
Click Start then Run
Type "command" (without the quote marks) and hit Enter
type "cd \" and hit enter
type "cd " then the name of the folder in which you want to create a new
folder and hit enter
type "md " then the name of the folder you want to create and hit enter
type "exit" and hit enter
now in explorer see if the folder exists. (you may have to refresh the
view with F5)

Try this REG file from Aumha.org. (Restore New Command)
http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php#new

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
awesome thanks geek girl both options worked.
it was interesting to read at the site you sent me to that it may be nvidia that caused it. i just wouldn't have thought that would happen.

ok so the next problem that hubby dscovered last night is that when he hit the folders option in the explorer window all it did was create a section that was grey instead of the folder tree.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Sounds to me like you had a bad installation of your O.S.
You shouldnt be having these issues with a fresh installation. I would wipe it and install again to see if it clears your issues.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks i suspected that was the case. i know i have had it happen once before when i installed the critical updates. thats is why i try to make sure it is all running properly before i do the updates

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks geekgirl. i reformated and everything is there and it even shuts down with the dvd burner turned on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.