Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Windows 2000 Pro Repair Install

I want to do a repair installation of Windows 2000 Pro. I have files on the hard drive that I need. Would it delete the files in My Documents or on the Desktop?

Could someone please tell me what gets deleted during a repair install? Is it just the system files, or does it delete the user accounts and their respective files too? What about the drivers? If it deletes the drivers, is there any folder I can backup to save them?

Could someone pleeasse give me the lowdown. :4-dontkno

Thanks!

=SkunkFace

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Hi SkunkFace, welcome to TSF.

Can you tell us why you want to do a repair installation?

Often there are other methods to use for fixing most problems, and sometimes a repair installation doesn't fix a problem.

So, if you can give more detail, it may lead to a better alternative.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am getting the missing ntoskrnl.exe error. I've tried most of the recommendation I've found online, but none have worked. I fear a repair install is my last available option. Because I cannot boot up into Windows, I would have to use the recovery console to move the files to another hard drive. I would like to move only the necessary files. When I do a repair install, do you know if it will delete the user accounts and their respective My Documents folders or the files on the desktop?

Thanks alot for the help.

Chow.

=SkunkFace

·
retired
1,966 Posts
A repair install will revert the current OS to it's initial install state and you probably will need to reinstall some drivers for devices such as video, multimedia, modems, etc. Windows Service packs and updates will need to be reinstalled.

User directories (your personal data) is left as is and will be accessible after a repair install.

Here is a graphical guide of Windows 2000 Professional Repair install

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I feel a little more prepared to do this now. I really appreciate the help.

TTFN.

=SkunkFace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.