Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Win98SE not recognising USB key flash memory stick

I'm running Win98SE.
I've just bought a 256Mb Integral memory stick - the product advert also called the make "Courier".

When I first put this into the USB port, the PC went into its "found new hardware" action but then said it couldn't find a suitable driver.
Ditto when the Win98SE CD was available, or Windows update checked.

I can't find a suitable site for loading a driver. This PC works fine with a USB digital camera so I don't think it's the USB hub causing the problem.

I've tried re-inserting the memory stick and going to "Add new hardware" but always the same result.

Any obvious solution I should be trying?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf
check your device manager for any yellow conflict symbols
if your thumbdrive is listed with such a conflict, uninstall it.
reverse the procedure you first used with the driver, did you have it plugged in first at boot up, then installed the drivers?
or did you install the driver first, then plugged it in...?
post back

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can't find Win98 drivers to download that make any difference

>> This USB stick didn't come with any drivers - obviously manufacturers assume everyone's running XP and drivers won't be needed.

>> First time, the PC was booted up, I plugged in the memory stick to the USB, and it went into "found new hardware", loaded the USB support, but then said nit couldn't find drivers for the device itself.

>> Next time I left the USB memory stick in place and rebooted. The PC simply ignored it & it didn't show up on the devices under "My Computer"

>> I located a driver with a yellow conflict symbol under category "Other devices" and asked Windows to re-install it. Again, couldn't find the drivers.

>> I tried removing the memory stick, rebooting, then re-inserting it. This time the PC didn't react and go into "found new hardware".

>>I searched for the nearest driver on an Internet site. Couldn't find suitable drivers to download when looking under "Integral" or "Courier". A google search turned up this site selling a comparable product and offering drivers for theirs: http://www.meritline.com/ml-intelligent-stick-usb-pen-drive-memory-512.html
The text on the website said "Mass storage supported, no driver needed under WinME/2000/XP, Mac OS 9.0 and higher. For Win98/98SE users, please click here to download drivers. " so it seemed a reasonable bet that this would give me a driver for Win98 that might work with other USB memory sticks. SO I downloaded, viruschecked and installed the file "driver98.exe", still no better result - tried both booting up with the memory stick plugged in (no nreaction) and inserting the memory stick while running (device was recognised and Windows searched for a driver - even apparently trying Windows Upodate - but said couldn't find one.

Trying again with a different source for what may be a generic driver : from the ricoh website, I've downloaded a driver file named usbmdriver.zip from site www.ricohpmmc.com. And again, unzipped, drivers installed, but when I put the memory stick in, it searches and says can't find drivers.

I'm almost at the point of saying Win98 won't support memory stick devices - surely that's not true?

Martin

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
You need the correct Manufactures driver before it will work with 98.
If you can't find it on the web I would be trying to return it and get one with the driver cd supplied

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use a Lexar 512 Sport drive with W98se, regularly, and I love it. I really don't think you have a 98 problem; I think you have a jump drive issue. My suggestion? Go with a name brand. Lexar offers 98 drivers on their website.

One simple idea before you return it...... Try updating the drivers, and when it asks you where to look, tell it to search the internet. Of course, if you're on dial up, you want to open a connection before you do this. MIGHT work (there again, it might not). Either way, let us know.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Also may be worth your while to check your device manager under USB hub and usb controller / those devices all run the usb version 2.0

means you will have to go to your motherboard website and hopefully find newer usb drivers for your motherboards usb controller / I have found this problem many times when trying to tuse usb drives and cameras

but the advice to get a flash drive which has drivers for win 98 is probally going to be the best advice / you cant use other manufacturer's drivers

regards

joe

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Windows 98 does require a driver to use a thumb drive no matter what the make. I use a Sandisk Mini Cruzer and never had a problem with it in any 98 machine. I find the hardware wizard sometimes doesnt want to find the driver so going to the actual file and executing the setup.exe will install and then windows will reconize it.
We need more info about the thumbdrive itself before we can send you in the right direction for a driver.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had problem like this.I tried lots of different drivers...NOTHING but the same result you had. Eventually I had to download an application which read from the drive the ORIGINAL manufacturer of the drive (sorry can;t remember what it was called). Then I emailed them directly and they sent me the driver. PRESTO!

Good luck Dins

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved - product brand "Integral Memory"

Thanks, everyone.

The memory stick was branded as "Integral", but I didn't find their website when I searched on Integral or the product name "Courier".

Finally located the website as www.integralmemory.com, downloaded the right drivers and now works just fine.

Thanks again,
Martin :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.