Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Win Update KB823353 Constantly Fails to Install

My Win2000 (Pro) machine is constantly trying to install the "Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353)". The Windows Update icon is in the lower-right corner waiting for me to Install the Update, which I have done many, many times.

But for some reason the update never "takes", and the icon re-appears and constantly nags at me.

I've checked "Google" and have seen a few "hits" on this issue with Win2000, Outlook Express and this particular update, but so far have been unable to find either a cause for this problem or it's solution.

Could someone please help ? This is not only annoying, I am concerned about a "Security Hole" in my system that might make it vulnerable.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nope....

No I haven't, but I will. Thanks for the tip. Any reason why this is necessary ?

EDIT ***

Just checked "Add/Remove", and KB897715 isn't installed. Should it be ?

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the "(Outlook Express)>Help>"About Microsoft Outlook Express" and it lists the version as "6.00.2800.1123", yet the Windows Update "balloon" is trying to install the "Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353)".

I can't tell if Outlook Express version 6.00.2800.1123 is actuall "SP1" or not.

Also, I went looking for the manual download for SP (Service Pack) 1 for Outlook Express, on the chance that it was something I needed to download and install first, but couldn't find any reference to any file with "Outlook Express" and "SP1" in it.

I DID find an Internet Explorer 6 "SP1" that I downloaded and installed, thinking that the "Outlook Express" "SP1" might either be the same thing or contained within it, but after an (apparantly) successful install, the Windows Update balloon still persists. So I am not sure if the Internet Explorer and the Outlook Express SP1's have anything to do with each other or not.

If anyone can help, I am pretty confused. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same problem on a laptop I inherited. After following the trail backward, the problem was resolved by reloading IE 6 and then doing a Windows Update. This appears to have allowed the Hotfix to complete its installation, so the update message has gone away.

Note: nothing was done to Outlook Express, the IE 6 reinstallation and Windows Update took care of whatever it needed to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.