Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 10/100 switch speed up my internet browsing?

I'm on a single LAN. Two workstations connect to a Linksys BEFSR41 v2 router. The router's WAN port is connected to the DSL modem. Of course, our ISP has given us limited dl/ul bandwidth. Both computers also have internet access using CAT5 cables and share the LAN bandwidth and ISP bandwidth. BY modifying the current setup by adding a 10/100 switch to the network, I will allow both computers to fully utilize the LAN bandwidth @ 10 or 100 mbps depending on the network cards/cables, therfore increaseing local traffic. However, I'm not quite sure the same concept applies to the WAN traffic, such as internet browsing, downloading and/or uploading. So my question is, will adding a switch improve WAN traffic for both workstations? Why or why not?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Not a bit. You have a specific bandwidth from your ISP, nothing you put behind it will affect that bandwidth. I have a gigabit network behind my broadband account, but my Internet browsing isn't any faster than it used to be. :grin:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I mark this thread as closed? The thread tools menu doesn't give me the option to close it or solve it.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
It's near the top, "Problem Resolved". I marked it this time.

FWIW, we have issues at times with that option, sometimes it doesn't work for me either. :smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.