Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's the XP recycle bin stored?

I have 2 files in my recycle bin that I can neither delete nor restore. Thought I'd try 'delete a file on reboot' but can't find the recycle bin anywhere. I saw another thread which said it should be on C:\ but mine isn't and a search doesn't find it either. Any suggestions gratefully received!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
snorky, did you say you tried a system restore? but a virus check is in order before i would think....which i have a feeling you have already done.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Have you tried to delete in Safe Mode?

Reboot to Safe Mode, double click My Computer, double click Local disk C:
Click Tools>Folder Options>View
Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Now you can see the Recycler folder
Open that folder, click Edit>Select All and Delete

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whosdat - you'd have thought I'd have learnt by now! Ran Spybot and Adaware and after dealing with what was found, I could delete 1 file.

Geekgirl - followed your instructions thanks - wouldn't let me delete in the recycler folder (file in use again) but I tried again in the recycle bin back in normal mode and this time the 2nd file deleted. Most odd.

Problem now resolved. Many thanks.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Very odd indeed but then again its Windows XP, what do we expect :laugh:

Glad you got it resolved

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I have experienced this before. I deleted the files with a 3rd party program, an emergency disk. Deleted fine but corrupted the entire system. I did a repair install and the system booted ok. Gave me a heart attack tho. :) I think there is a way to fix this problem via registry. I may come up with the fix tomorrow gotta look at my registry notes. :) ( did i just sound like an official geek ? ) :tongue:

edit: the cause is malware.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well whatever else I did, as a trainee analyst, I should at least have tried the steps I took including trying to delete them in safe mode before posting here - particularly as they came up with the 'file in use' message. :redface: I think not knowing much about XP automatically flummoxes me and renders me incapable of rational thought! What I need is a good 'easy reference' guide to the mysteries of the XP OS which might make me less fearful of it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:laugh: Why thank you WaltSide - exactly what was needed!

That book looks ideal Geekgirl - also think the other 'dummies' books listed would be perfect for me too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.