Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing how much time i ve spent on this junk ! Seems like a network issue but it is not i figured. Question is : Can it possibly be the motherboard ?

Comp:
DELL Dimension 2400

Symptom:
Computer can not get online. LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY.

Here is the list of things done :

- Fresh install windows XP since the system was severely infected and had nothing important in it
- New PCI network card installed, drivers installed onboard one disabled from BIOS
- CMOS cleared
- Did a low level format to the HD incase the infection got around the first quick format.
- Another fresh install ( during installation error message : " an error has been encountered that prevents setup from continueing. One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. Incorrect funtion. Press ok to view the setup log file. " ( Guess the networking components... ofcourse there were not a log available. dear windows.. sigh... )
- Installed chipset drivers ( incase )
- Tried the onboard one again. Disabled onboard one reinstalled the PCI card ( hopeless and tired attempts without faith.. ) etc.

What would you think that the problem could be ?

Thanks.
Regards.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY in my experience is not related to a problem with your computer but with the internet (wireless I assume) device. Such as signal strength too low or intermittent, or invalid passwords/ permission (if behind a firewall or need of shared key( WAP, WEP, TKIP permissions)) You may want to post this question in the networking section where those experts could better troubleshoot this for you. FWIW a low level format will not rid you of any virus' that may be in the MBR (master boot record) of the HD, only a full format will do that.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Start, Run, type "cmd", type "ipconfig /all >C:\ipconfig.txt". Leave out the quotes ("").

Open C:\ipconfig.txt with Notepad and copy/paste the info back for review and comment.

You might also try making a Ethernet looping plug to see what happens.

Loopback plug

JamesO

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. No wireless. I am using my own cable modem which obviously works :) I ll try to do dban on the hard drive then. Didnt know LLF wouldnt suffice. And sure I ll paste the info James.

·
Registered
587 Posts
May not be related, but there have been some issues with this, open the computer up and look at the mainboard for any bad capacitors, there was a bunch of Dell machines with bad caps, and that can cause all kinds of untold weirdness to occur.

Just a quick check.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amazing how it turned out. I didnt see with my eyes but a friend of mine said he got it working. He said he used the dell OS reinstallation cd. ( i used OEM ) That was the only different thing he did. And the computer gets online fine. When talking about a dell i am never ever sure. Doesn't make sense now does it ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.