Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visual C++ Runtime Error Abnormal Program Termination Explorer.exe

Ok...
This is a 98 Machine. I don't think its SE, but I may be wrong.
All Windows updates are installed
and I am running Norton Antivirus 2003 and AVG (loaded AFTER problem arose).
Also running updated Spybot and Ad-Aware (also loaded after problem arose).

From the Desktop, if I click on My Computer, I get a
Visual C++ Runtime Error
Program: c:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
abnormal program termination

If I click ok, the desktop disappears.

The same thing happens if I try to open Interent Explorer, or load Trend Micro Housecall and maybe if I run certain utilities.

I have discovered that I can bring up Task Manager and select the Runtime Error and click End Task and the error goes away.

I have also figured out that I can right click on the Start Button, click Explore and do basically anything I used to be able do to from the desktop (open IE, open control panel, open a dial up connection, etc.)

As long as I don't click Ok on that Runtime Error, or click My Computer or IE or a couple things, everything is ok.

I have updated and run Norton, AVG and Stinger. All say the system is squeeky clean. I tried to run Trend Micros little online All-in-One scanner but it brought up the Runtime Error when the file started downloading to the computer.

I am stumped. Is this a buggy program running on this machine? Some sort of Malicious software?

Help?

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Is this a buggy program running on this machine? Some sort of Malicious software?
Visual C++ Runtime Error
Run System File Checker (SFC) to correct any problems with system files, do a full scan.

Click Start/ Run / then type SFC and press ENTER, to launch the SFC dialog box.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I think you should first remove one of your antivirus programs to avoid conflicts and system slow downs.

I have seen Google Toolbar causing this error, after it is removed the error does too.

You may also want to try to Repair Internet Explorer6 via using the Add/Remove Programs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got It!

I did a number of things.

This computer had Mcafee First Aid on it, so I ran a scan with that and fixed a couple errors. Nothing I hadn't already tried earlier though.

I also searched through the programs on the Add/Remove Programs window and i DID find the Google Toolbar, which I promptly removed.

I rebooted, clicked My Computer and BAM!!! I was looking right into My Computer and not some Visual C++ Runtime error.

It might have been the First Aid, but I am putting my money on the Google Toolbar.

Thanks for the help folks, I couldn't have done it without you.
I owe both of you your beverage of choice next time I see you.

Thanks,
Stan

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Glad to see your back in business!

Guess we'll never know for sure on this one, could have been configuration files updated, or Mcafee First Aid, maybe the google toolbar. Usually toolbar runtime errors are with IE, though I have seen some odd errors when people use active desktop. Mcafee causing a system runtime error is more likely. If it crops up again consider uninstalling Mcafee and using AVG or AntiVir instead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the computer already had norton on it.
i have seen avg find viruses that norton and mcafee didn't find
so i installed avg just in case it could find something the other didn't.

i DID uninstall AVG, but other than perhaps running a tad faster it didn't make much difference that i could tell.
the computer still had Visual C++ error.

it wasn't until I removed the Google toolbar (and ran First Aid) that the problem went away.

but yes, I did remove one of the anti-virus programs.

i would have removed the Google toobar earlier, but I was unaware it was installed on this computer. i couldn't start IE normally because it would bring up the Vis. C++ error. If I opened IE via Windows Explorer, the Google Toolbar didn't show up. This computer had a lot of those anti-spam/spyware type programs on it that in my opinion probably cause as many problems as they fix (like Soap). I was looking for these to remove them when I came across the Google Toolbar. I removed that and everything is good now.

Thanks Again!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I have been seeing this on many XP systems lately, just had to fix my nephews the other day because of the Google Toolbar. I thought I would through it in to see if it was your issue.
In the future when your Norton expires you may want to go back to AVG. Norton is a huge resource hog :sayyes:
Also use these online scanners to scan for viruses instead on installing another antivirus program. No installation needed other than an active x.
When I clean a system, I always scan with 2 of the active scanners plus the currently installed antivirus.

Panda ActiveScan
RAV AntiVirus
Housecall Be sure to put a check the box beside AutoClean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.