Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very Long XP Bootup

Hi,

Ever since installing my Panda Antivirus 2006 I've been having very long bootups. Most of the time nothing happens, it just stays on the blue screen saying "welcome". This means that i end up having to switch the computer off and on again... and hope that it starts up (after 3 or 4 tries).

My computer is quite old, but everything has been updated so there should be no problem. I've given it an adaware/spyware/antivirus checkup, defragged my c: drive, even tried to configure some of my startup programs through msconfig... but nothing seems to help...so help!!

AMD Athlon 950Mhz
1 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce FX 5500
I have 2 HDs partitioned, C: 40G and Z: 120G which are both around 50% full

Any ideas?? Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
personally would recommend AVG and also have heard of such issues from others who had Panda and the problem was resolved when they changed the antivirus program.Just a thought.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Making sure all previous anti-virus programs are uninstalled is a must.
Uninstall Panda and remove all instances of it then try to reinstall.

·
15,478 Posts
I agree, AVG is a great anti-virus program but Poyan83 has obviuosly purchased Panda Antivirus 2006 and wishes to use this in their system. Let's focus on helping them resolve their issue rather than suggesting alternative programs. If Poyan83 wishes to change the antivirus program after the subscription has expired that would be their choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys... My god... more problems! o_O''

Yeah well since i need to use my computer now i decided to uninstall panda and use the much recommended AVG.

Anyways after i installed this and restarted it didn't freeze on the blue welcome screen, but rather the black windows xp screen with the loading bar below it which never seems to load.

So after a restart again, i manage to load up windows with the "load windows using the same settings as the last successful load" option (don't quote me on that!).

Then my router fails to connect. It has no connectivity or very little. So after browsing this forum with other people who's had the same problem i download the patch "WinsockXPFix.exe" and now its working fine.

However i dunno why but my avg viruscan says that the resident sheld is unable to load, and there is no button to enable it?? (any ideas about this?)

My windows loads fine now i think... although i have a fair of restarting now! Still take a while tho...

·
15,478 Posts
Totally your choice to not use a product you paid for, completely understandable.

However i dunno why but my avg viruscan says that the resident sheld is unable to load, and there is no button to enable it?? (any ideas about this?)
Go to HERE and re-download AVG... SAVE it to a place you will remember (eg. your desktop). DO NOT re-INSTALL the version you previously downloaded (delete that file).

Double click to install the newly downloaded file (avg70free_344a618.exe).
The new install will just write over any previous old AVG files, so don't worry about doing anything else with those. That's it. Everything, inc. resident shield should work.

The only other thing you should do is run UPDATE to get the virus database current.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol, aiya... spoke too soon :cry:

Yeah i shut down my pc today (i usually leave it on) and the startup trouble began again! It is stuck on the "windows xp" page with the loading bar not really loading anything...

So i restart again and the only way i can get onto windows is using the "load windows with the last working configurations" option.

Upon loading up windows my AVG says that the Resident Shield is not working (as well as the email scanner, although i don't use outlook so this doesn't really matter to me)

This is really starting to suck... will it mean that i should leave my computer on 24/7????....hmmm....

·
15,478 Posts
After you boot and connect to the internet does AVG Resident Shield and email scanner clear itself. If you are using an email like AOL, the email scanner will not be used. For some reason it doesn't like AOL :rolleyes:

As for your booting issue, does it happen everytime you shut it down?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, i'm gonna confuse the hell outta you because it really does seem rather ramdom whether my windows chooses to load up or not. It seems to load up when doing a restart, but has trouble when i shut it down and then load it up... although it worked this time, thought the loading bar did come up longer then it should do... aw well!

As far as the AVG is concerned, it still doesn't load up the resident shield or the email scanner. By the way i'm not on AOL i'm on BT, which is connected through a router.

I basically did googled the problem to see if anyone else had the same problem and there were some people but i dunno if it reli helps...

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=181509&goto=nextoldest

This guy suggests that there is a conflict between AVG and Roxio's CD Burning programs. Unfortunately i don't have any roxio cd burning programs, but i wonder if it could be a conflict like that with another program that i have?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/280849.html

"Go to the AVG7 folder and look for a file called WAITSD4 or something similar. If it contains 0 bytes then delete it and all should be well."

I had a look and there was nothing like that in my folder... but i wonder if its wise to go round deleting things like that without knowing what they are?

Hmmm, hope that my links works, if not then i googled up "AVG resident shield not loading", and you should come up with the same results!

Anyways, has anyone else had this problem before??

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
oh dear, your in quite a pridecnem... pridecimand or whatever (i am not feeling gramatacal or spellingful at the moment)

hmm...

try avast: its free for noncommercial use but it takes a ****tin long time to register for the key http://www.avast.com

but i think its something corrupted in your system not a software prob.

try reinstalling windoze...

·
Registered
462 Posts
i have an idea that maybe wont solve the problem, but rather a thing to stop it happenin, when your pc manages to boot properly, no message and everything works then try this:

Hibernation mode (must have anough disk space, based on amount of ram)

right click on desktop>properties>screen saver>hibernation>enable

when you go to shutdonw and the window with three options comes up, hold shift and standby will turn into 'Hibernate' ur pc will shut down, EVERYTHING off and when you boot up next time it will loads up all processes that were running when you shutdown, it will boot up faster and likely flawlessly, try it, i sware by it! hope this helps, if it dont, oh well its a shot!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I agree with geekgirl about fixing the problem rather than changing the software. But since you already have, uninstalling Panda is not merely a matter of removing it by add/remove. Parts of it remain and may be part of your problem. Ask Panda support for instructions. They are quite responsive. In addition to their instructions, you may also have to edit the registry to remove all occurences of panda. Panda is actually very good software.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.