Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Enclosure Kit

I recently purchased an Adaptec USB 2.0 enclosure kit, and I connected an internal EIDE 160 GB Western Digital hard drive to it. Everything was working fine when I first installed it, but after I power down the drive and shut off my computer, the computer will not recognize the hard drive the next time I start up.

The first time I connected it on my XP machine, windows auto-detected the drive correctly, and I transferred several GB onto it. Then, the next time I connected the drive, it would connect and then disconnect. I couldn't get it to show up anymore.

So, I tried installing it on my windows 98 machine. Again, the first time I installed the USB driver (98 required a driver to be installed from CD), the drive showed up and I could use it just fine. It even worked when I left the drive on and restarted my computer. However, once I remove the drive and reconnect it, the OS doesn't detect it. I have to uninstall the USB driver, reinstall it, and reconnect the drive before Windows will recognize it again.

Is there anything I can do to make this external hard drive actually plug-and-play?

Proteus

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
there is an icon that pops up in the system tray, "safely remove USB device"

i take it you haven't been disconnecting from the drive that way?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured it out

Yeah, I wasn't using the tray icon to disconnect the hard drive. I looked at the installation instructions again, and I rechecked my jumper settings for the drive. I realized that I had the jumper settings for the hard drive set to Master (dual) when it should have been set to Master (single). When I corrected the jumper settings, everything worked fine. I had no problem on either computer anymore.

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.