Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Splash screen on a Windows98 BootDisk?

Hey all. Figured this'd prob be the best place to ask

Is it possible to have a Windows 98 Boot floppy disk that displays the Win98 (or more specifically a logo.sys) splash screen?

I've attempted to try adding the option "logo=1" to the msdos.sys file and also ensured it was bigger than 1024bytes, but all that my attempts achieved was an error (which flashed too quickly to read) followed by an options boot screen Normal boot, safe mode, command boot whatever etc

Same thing happens with the Ghost virtual (win98) boot disk, only with that the actual splash screen will show, just won't listen to logo.sys (which meets size requirements btw)

Umm anyway, after searching Google to no avail does anybody here know if such a thing is possible? :)

·
retired
1,966 Posts
have you replaced the floppy msdos.sys file with the one from the root directory?

C:\msdos.sys is the one that contains the path info and startup switches, the one that is typically generated by "create startup disk" or format /s (or sys A:) is a vanilla dos msdos.sys file.

Copy the C:\msdos.sys file to the floppy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that did it cheers :grin:

Only prob is I can't really implement it as my floppy disk doesn't have enough free space left over. You don't happen to know of any resource editors that can edit/replace the embedded bitmap in IO.sys do you?

If not, not to worry -i'd prob just make the switch to CDs :smile:

·
retired
1,966 Posts
The startup logo embedded in the IO.SYS file is in a compressed format and cannot be changed to a different image.

I suggest you turn logo off in msdos.sys and use this method instead.

Download Irfanview (an excellent freeware image editor) and use it's slideshow feature to turn the image into an executable file that can be called in autoexec.bat and will display until key pressed/mouse moved or for a set number of seconds. It will likely be smaller file size than the bitmap you currently have as well.

Try these settings for key pressed/mouse moved...
Checkmarks for:
Slide Advance: Random after mouse/key
Slideshow options: Suppress errors, hide mouse, no file repeat

then click 'Save as Exe/Scr' (button)
Create EXE file
Play in full screen mode
-----------------------------------------------------------
For time delayed use one of the seconds settings, in example Random after 5.0 seconds will display for 5 seconds and then close (autoexec's next statement if there is one, else goes to dos command).
-----------------------------------------------------------
you can display several images in a row as well, have fun...

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that method worked a lot better than before.

I found that while the msdos.sys file grabbed from a Windows 98 PC did show the splash screen. It error'd when I put the disk in a Windows XP system -Probably due to the [Path] options trying to look for a Windows directory and all attempts to edit those paths to A or A:\ etc resolved nothing.

Neverthaless, i'll keep playing/tweaking infranview's executable to see if I can get it to my liking. Many thanks for your help though :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.