Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[resolved] Sound Device doesnt work after...

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Geekgirl 
#1 ·
Sound Device doesnt work after...

My Windows XP has been reinstalled and the sound doesnt work. :cry:

can anyone help please,

cheers

#2 ·
Have you tried reinstalling the sound drivers?
Have you got onboard sound or a separate soundcard?
If you have onboard sound you may have to reinstall the mobo drivers from the disk you should've got with it. If you haven't got it, you could get the drivers from the mobo manufacturers website.
And if you dunno what mobo you've got, you can download Everest Home Edition to help you find the name and model etc.

#5 · (Edited)
No need to feel stupid ... a lot of us have done this when first installing windows ... if the sound chip is built into your mainboard, the drivers should be on the disc that came with your system and either has the mainboard makers name on or perhaps is just labelled 'Drivers' or 'Support software' or something similar.

If you have a recovery set-up/disc (and not a windows CD) they should be on the image copy of windows that has been loaded ... from the Start menu right click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device manager and check out the sound drivers ... yellow lettering indicates a problem ... if you click around the various tabs you will be able to reinstall them there.

If you need further advice please post again.

Peter

PS: This may help if you hit any snags:-
http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

#6 ·
petercj said:
If you have a recovery set-up/disc (and not a windows CD) they should be on the image copy of windows that has been loaded ... from the Start menu right click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device manager and check out the sound drivers ... yellow lettering indicates a problem ... if you click around the various tabs you will be able to reinstall them there.

If you need further advice please post again.

Peter

PS: This may help if you hit any snags:-
http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/
I have a System and Driver CD. I put it in and the following came up :

i installed both, at least i think i did but everytime the CD is in the same thing comes up.

is there another step i need to take to get the sound back aswell as this :4-dontkno because it still doesnt work.

Cheers for your help by the way, much appreciated

#14 ·
ok....

on Everest, the Multimedia section has
-Window Audio and
-PCI/PNP Audio.

Windows Audio has nothing there, whilst PCI/PNP has nVIDIA MCP2

I found another sound thing in the DirectX section, dont know if that has anything to do with it, i took a screenie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.