Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard. I have 3 SATA HDDs, 2 set up in RAID on one of the onboard controllers. The other hard drive is just a data disk and was running on the 2nd onboard controller. However, that 2nd controller decided to stop working. I bought a PCI SATA controller, installed all drivers etc... and hooked up the data drive to it. But now whenever I try to boot with the data drive connected it tries to boot from the data drive, and won't load the OS from the RAID set. Is there a way to force the computer to boot from the onboard controller rather than letting the PCI controller take precedence? Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just messed with it some more. Just in case you were wondering, there is an option in the BIOS to enable which hard drive is active. It has both the RAID set and the data drive in there, but the changing the order seems to have no effect. If I just unhook the SATA cable from the data drive it boots fine.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Just to clarify what you said last, are you talking about an option called Hard Drive Priority with your last statement? Mine has a Hard Drive Priority which you can set and save so you get the right drive booting. Then, you of course also have to set the Boot Order and save that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it was hard drive priority I was referring to. Actually, I updated the BIOS to the newest version and it started working, but now I think it is totally screwed because when the BIOS updated it reset all the options I had set and it messed up the RAID array. Now windows freezes during the loading screen and I get a message about the array having a sync error.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok another update.

I just reset all the BIOS settings to default and set everything back the way it should be. Now I can load windows in the various forms of safe mode, but when I try to load it normally, it hangs on the loading screen, with the progress bar paused mid-scan. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I didn't change any of the content on the hard drives, so why windows stopped working outside safe mode I can't figure out. The RAID config util reports that the drives with the OS are both good and in a healthy array.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Have you considered moving it back to how it was when it worked, then trying the option of adding the other drive again and setting the options. You can do that through System Restore. Another thing I didn't quite understand, what other drivers did you load on the other sata?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I just let windows load for like 3 hours and it finally came up. Now it comes up like normal every time. Don't know what that was about. System seems to be back to normal except for this:

any ideas what is going on here?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Wow, you do have a bunch of those. Start at the top (if everything is working correctly now) and right click and select update drivers for those and then see what happens. If that does not work, then delete the 1394 area and let the computer find it on bootup. then make sure the drivers are updated. I suspect if you do that, you will not have that many items in that area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to update one and it said it didn't find a newer driver. What exactly do you mean by delete the 1394 area? I tried to uninstall all the of the ones with an error and they came back after I restarted. By the way, thanks a lot for helping me with this, it's very baffling.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Yes, they will come back as they should...delete all of them, even the one without an error. By the way, are you sure you loaded all the drivers from your motherboard disk and have all the options enabled in the BIOS for the Network Adapter???? Check your motherboard disk and see if there is something in there you did not load in that area. If so, load it and then update those drivers.

Also, go to Start, My Computer, My network Places, View Network Places, 1394 area....See what that area says in there...like is it enabled or disabled? What kind of connection to the internet are you using? For example, I am on dial-up (live where that is all I can get) and that area is disabled for me since I have no type of network connection. I do have a dial-up connection enabled in that area, but not the 1394.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All right, seems like that did it! I'll be on the lookout for any other issues just in case. You're awesome, I really appreciate your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.