Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samsung Laser Network Problem

I am running several PCs via a Netgear FWG114P router/print server. All work perfectly except a new PC (XP Pro SP2) which refuses to connect. The printer appears to install OK with the correct IP port, identical to another working XP/SP2 PC and the IP address pings OK but nothing happens when attempting a testprint page (from the printer properties window) - as if there is no communication. XP initially reports its status as printing (nothing reaches the printer) but after about a minute, reports "Error - Printing" without any further clues. I am not aware of any firewalls preventing the connection (XP firewall is also disabled in the new PC). Does anyone have any similar experiences or clues?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Delete the printer port and re-install and see if this sorts the problem.

Typically you install printers with print servers as local printers without Plug and Play, then select a standard TCP/IP port. A bit different than what you would expect, but it works!

JamesO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JamesO said:
Delete the printer port and re-install and see if this sorts the problem.

Typically you install printers with print servers as local printers without Plug and Play, then select a standard TCP/IP port. A bit different than what you would expect, but it works!

JamesO
Thanks JamesO, that's fixed the problem.
I thought I had done that earlier while trying deleting, reconfiguring, reinstalling &/or driver upgrading (maybe the port never fully deleted).

But it certainly worked this time when specifically deleting everything (printer & port) & rebooting to make sure. Then installed the printer to a local (LPT1) port, separately installed the IP port and changed the printer to it. Not sure whether the problem was the port or the instal sequence, but is now fine.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Glad you were able to solve the problem. I find sometimes deleting and reconfiguring may be the best bet at times. Sometimes much quicker than troubleshooting other things.

Please mark your thread as "solved" using the thread tools in the upper right toolbar.

JamesO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.