Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
problem with system file checker

When trying to run it it asks for the winxp cd. Even though it's in it says it can't find it and asks to retry or cancel. The path in the setup registry key is correct. I thought if it can't find the cd you can provide the path to the i386 folder on the hard drive. This doesn't give this option. Hitting either the retry or cancel buttons does nothing and it gets caught in an endless loop. The program can't be stopped with ctr-alt-del and the computer has to be rebooted. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Are you sure you edited...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

and changed the SourcePath key to where your i386 folder should be?

If you did this correctly, then it shouldn't ask for a CD. Also, make sure you restart your computer so the registry settings can take effect.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
If Resolutions suggestion does not help you may need to do a Repair install.

Set the computer to boot from cd first in the BIOS
Place the xp cd in cdrom and reboot
Boot from the xp cd and choose install
Ignore the first repair option and continue with install
When windows finds the previous installation and offers to repair
then do the repair
If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install

How to perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you!

The repair install did the trick. The system file checker ran straight through. This might correct other problems that were occurring. I was getting BSOD's with different error messages and firefox started freezing at random intervals. Thanks again. :tongue:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.