Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power Supply problems

I've just upgraded the power supply in my Advent 3412 (Uk PC world brand) machine from 250w to 300w.

The computer will boot into safe mode, but if I try to start it normally, its gets to the Windows XP logo and then hangs. I've also tried using a 450w power supply, and I have the same problem.

However, if I put my old 250w back into the machine, everything works fine.

I have no idea whats wrong, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
when i see a power supply that small,i think propriatory supply do you know if yours is or is'nt as we do not get that brand of comp here

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, what do you mean by a 'propriatory supply'

You might be on to something here, as I haven't heard that term before

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a 20-pin power connector with multi-coloured wires and a four pin connector with black and yellow wires that both plug directly into the motherboard.

All other connectors are Molex and mini-molex

Is this what you mean?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
a number of brand name computers are wired to their own specifications,the easiest way to find out is to phone them up and ask them
the wire colours will be the same but they will go to different pins,than an off the shelf power supply
or put the m/b plug from both supplies along side of each other and check if the the same colours go to the same pins on both the original and the new one

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The motherboard power connectors are exactly the same. I dont think the system would boot at all if it were otherwise, and I can get into safe mode.

The store I bought the supply from checked it out, and it seems to be working fine.

The reason I'm changing my power supply is that a new graphics card was installed (GeForce 6600) that required 300w. For a while, I was running this card from the 250w supply, untill I checked out the specs :dead:

I was told that there might be driver conflicts between the two cards, so I've uninstalled the drivers for both and still the machine will only boot in safe mode.

I'm completely stumped by this.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
go into msconfig and untick the boxes one at a time,and try to start normally between each one
if it does start normally you have found the problem

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've solved the problem, although im still not sure exactly what was wrong.

I uninstalled drivers for both graphics cards, cleared the 'ECSD' in the BIOS menu, and it allowed me to boot.

Probably was a driver conflict >_<

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.