Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power supply dead?

A couple days ago i was playing Quake and all of a sudden my comp crashed and completely shut down. After it shut down it came right back on(without anything on the screen, and i cant do anything) and now the only way to shut it down is to unplug it. Also i keep smelling a burnt smell coming out of the power suply. Is my power supply broken? is there any way to fix this? :dead:

·
Registered
30 Posts
well the burning smell doesnt sound safe at all! could be a firehazard but sometimes when a screen is blank its worth doing an ATX reset

unplug every single wire including power cable form PC > hold in power button for 30 secs > plug in power and monitor > try turning on

not sounding too good tho mate!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no dice :sayno:

i just unscrewed the power supply and found a loose screew rolling around inside. That could have caused the problem. I tried turning in on a few more times. I put my fingers in the wrong placed a couple of times. ouch

·
Registered
30 Posts
i would be very careful what you do inside a PSU! very high voltage higher than normaly because of the capacitors and so on! i shorted one out soo much (exploding chips on a mobo with wires off the 12V) that one capacitor set on fire i thought it was just a bright light reflecting for the first min then smelt burning and another went bang! lol then we let it cool down and turned it on and was this horror kind of screeching from it! it ended up outside all over the road after a few swing on the cords lol!

:4-thatsba Don't try this at home! :4-thatsba we used a controlled enviroment! a kitchen!! :4-dontkno :sayyes:

P

·
0 Posts
Replace the PSU and please no more experiments :) After the replacement go to your bios and check your power management options. ( resetting the CMOS would be wiser )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.