Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[resolved] P4P800 series issues

8K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  noisywan 
#1 · (Edited)
P4P800 series issues

Ok here is the story.

of 5 motherboards, all have faulted with 1 of 2 faults. 1 motherboard is a P4P800-se and the other 4 are P4P800-e-delux. The P4P800-se had all the usb ports fail and the ps2 port at the same time. the other 4 boards being the P4P800-e-delux had the usb ports fail on 2 of them and the chipset visibly burnt out on the other 2. these boards are from 3 different computers , all with different power supplys, HDDs, and CPUs so that only leaves the motherboard as the common component that faults. i am down to only 1 of my motherboards being left under warrente and it is in being inspected as we speak. The problem i have is that the motherboard will mearly be replaced with an identicle board. this leaves me with another board that as far as i am concerned will fault. i emailed tech support about this issue with the P4P800 series, and all they could do is say it was an individual problem, ie: (customer at fault) and then told me to take the board back to the store i got it from for repear. I have done this 2 many times with the same board and i am sick of replaceing boards every 2 months or so. How is this customer service, why should i have to keep swapping boards when it is clearly a design flaw in the board. All i want is what i paid for and that is a motherboard that actually works for more than 2 months.

If anyone else has had either (1) the usb ports fail (2) the chipset burn out then please reply here so that asus can see that there is issues that i am not responsable for but i am paying for.

Looks like i am buying abit from now on. sad concidering that i have been a loyal customer of asus for many years now. I always have the latest ASUS video card, i always buy ASUS mainboards, and i have ASUS burners and an ASUS pda. I have 7 computers and as such give a fair amount of my hard earned cash to ASUS for their product. I am very dissapointed about how poorly my issues have been handeled by asus concidering the above.

shamusmcfly

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear of your delima...is it possible that the mobo's are being mishandled by your supplier....were the mobo's still in their sealed anti-stat packaging. Are all these computers hooked up to a surge suppressor, and/or properly grounded. And, are you atempting (or those using the computers) pluging in or out the usb devices while the computer is on. Usually Asus will tell you what was wrong with the mobo's you turned in for repair.

#3 · (Edited)
ok, to the mishandling by the supplyer question, The answer is no as the boards are from 2 different supplyers.

yes they were all in anti static bags

no there is no serge protector on the computers but its unlikely that only the PCs with the asus boards would die and all the other PCs run perfectly in the same room without execption due to a serge and whats more 5 times.

and yes i plug in usb devices while the computers are on as that is the main idea of USB, u should b able to plug a camera or external usb drive into a usb port while the pc is powered, every other machine can handle this or is asus different and requires that you power down your machine before pluging in a usb device. unlikely that this caused the problems 5 times also.

and i dont need asus to tell me what is wrong with the last mobo i handed in as the chip is practicly burnt in half, the exact same chip that blew on another machine at a friends house

#4 · (Edited)
twajetmech said:
Sorry to hear of your delima...is it possible that the mobo's are being mishandled by your supplier....were the mobo's still in their sealed anti-stat packaging. Are all these computers hooked up to a surge suppressor, and/or properly grounded. And, are you atempting (or those using the computers) pluging in or out the usb devices while the computer is on. Usually Asus will tell you what was wrong with the mobo's you turned in for repair.
Well Asus in Australia certainly don't tell you what was wrong.
And when you RMA a board here the chances are you get a different board back.
I've RMA'd the same board 3 times to Asus and it came back with a different serial number each time.
The reason it went back after the first time was that it didn't work properly when it was eventually returned to me. I really like the board it's a great overclocking mainboard, but Asus certainly have problems with their after sales service, and thats not to mention their website.

#5 ·
Sham:

What TWA is asking you is / do you always use the shutdown usb device tool located in the taskbar before you remove the device / users you constantly remove USB devices without using ther disconnect console burn their usb ports & controller

also what is the make and model of your PSU ??????

what are your system temps and cpu temps ??????

with 5 boards burnt out / I think you have other issues going on here / I agree with asus attitude though / their support people must be understaffed because they $uck !!! I have made up my mind ~~ I have been trying Abit boards lately.

regards

joe

#6 · (Edited)
linderman said:
Sham:

What TWA is asking you is / do you always use the shutdown usb device tool located in the taskbar before you remove the device / users you constantly remove USB devices without using ther disconnect console burn their usb ports & controller

also what is the make and model of your PSU ??????

what are your system temps and cpu temps ??????

with 5 boards burnt out / I think you have other issues going on here / I agree with asus attitude though / their support people must be understaffed because they $uck !!! I have made up my mind ~~ I have been trying Abit boards lately.

regards

joe
Yes i always safely stop a device before removing it as that avoids data corruption. My cpu temps average 39 deg celcius, i have a water cooler on a 3 gig prescot because they do run very hot, and the system temp is 41 deg. I have a 410w thermaltake PSU. Of course that is only in my main rig which is on its 3rd board now. the other PCs have simela specs but 500w PSUs.

As for the 5 boards and saying i have other issues, they arent all my boards but when they die, i am the poor bugger that has to replace them as the people that own the other 2 PCs that have had faulty boards wouldnt know where to start to replace a board. Being that we are talking about 3 different PCs with different components at 3 different locations, i dont think i have any other issues other than being stupid enough to buy a P4P800 series board and then recomend them to the people that own the other 2 PCs

#7 ·
Andrew S. said:
Well Asus in Australia certainly don't tell you what was wrong.
And when you RMA a board here the chances are you get a different board back.
I've RMA'd the same board 3 times to Asus and it came back with a different serial number each time.
The reason it went back after the first time was that it didn't work properly when it was eventually returned to me. I really like the board it's a great overclocking mainboard, but Asus certainly have problems with their after sales service, and thats not to mention their website.
Thanks for your reply andrew, Much appreciated.

Nice to see other people have problems with this model too. Every reply like this just confirms that there may very well be issues with this model of mainboard. I only hope asus is prepeared to do something about it but from the response i have recieved from asus so far this is quiet unlikely

#10 ·
Thank you Linderman, that is what I ment. Other than the mobo not grounding properly to the case (adaptor plate, standoffs), not using a 3 prong plug, not using the usb shutdown service (you do, but do the other users), bad usb cables....both external to device and if a usb header is used internally the header cable may be loose, or dirty power/power surges, failure to adhere to standard anti-stat precautions during the build, there isn't much else that can cause the issue. While I wholeheartedly agree Asus tech support leaves much to desire it is really out of the ordinary to have so many mobo's from different suppliers go bad with just about the same problems. It may be that a simple use of good quallity surge protectors may do the trick, and/or the use of a good psu like Enermax, Antec, Fortron, Sparkle or PC Power & Cooling. And while Asus tech support is horrrible, they usually make good when issues do arise, just not on a timely basis (3 weeks). Good luck

#11 ·
I would try a high quality PSU the next time you replace a board

here are the ratings for PSU's (as you can see Thermal Take is not a top dog :)

Enermax or Antec 550 watts for a loaded P4 system

ATX Power Supplies - Brands from A to Z

*** RATED BY QUALITY ***

Key
H = High Quality (Good Solid Reliable Brand)
L = Low Quality (Cheap Generic)
M = Medium Quality (In-between)
U = Unknown

A-Power................L
A-Top..................L
A+GPB..................L
AcBel..................L
AC Ryan (Ryanpower)....L
Aerocool...............U
AG.....................L
Ahanix.................L
Akasa..................L
Allied.................L
Antec..................M/H
AOpen..................L
APC....................L
Apex Allied............L
Aspire.................L/M
Astec..................L
Athena.................L
BFG....................L
Broadway Gaming........U
Channel Well...........L
CHAS...................L
Chenbro................U
Chieftec...............L
Coba...................L
Codegen................L
Conrad.................M
CoolerMaster...........H
CoolMax................M
Crystal................L
Dell...................L
Delta..................L
Diablo.................L
Eagle..................L
Echo Star..............L
Enermax................H
Engleking..............M
Enlight................M
Epson..................L
FDK....................L
Fortron (FSP)..........H
Gateway................L
Gazelle Multimedia.....L
Global Marketing.......L
GPower.................L
Guardian...............L
Herolchi...............M
Hipro..................L
HP/Compaq..............L
HPC International......L
Huntkey................L
I-Star.................L
IBM Redundant..........U (expensive)
Intel Redundant........U (expensive)
In Win.................L
Jaguar.................U
Kensington.............L
Kingwin................L
L&C....................L
Leadman................L
Levicom................L
LiteOn.................U
Logisys................U
Mad Dog................L/M
Maxtron................L
MGE....................L
MGE Vortec.............M
MorningStar............L
NEC....................L
Newton.................L
Nexus..................L
Noise Magic............L
NorthQ.................M
Nspire.................L
OCZ....................H
Omega..................L
Packard Bell...........L
PC Power & Cooling.....H
PC-World (PCW).........L
PCMCIS.................U
Power..................L
PowerStream............L
PowerTek...............L
PowerUp................L
PowMax.................L
PowMax XPower..........L
Premium................L
Pyramid................L
Q-Tec..................L
Q-Technology...........L
RaidMax................U
Real Power.............L
Rosewill...............L
SCS....................L
SeaSonic...............H
Shuttle................L
Silent Purepower.......U
SilenX.................L
Silverstone............H
Sky Hawk (Eagle Tech)..L
Sparkle................H
Star Micronics.........L
StarTech...............L
Sun....................L
SuperFlower............L
Supermicro.............L
Tagan..................H
Task...................L
ThermalTake............M
Topower................L
Tri-Mag................L
TSP....................L
Tyan Tiger.............L
TTGI...................L
Ultra-Power Computer...L
Ultra..................M
Ultra X-Connect........L
Vantec.................H
Verax..................H
Vigor..................U
Xion...................L
xPCgear................L
Zalman.................H
Zippy..................L

Thanks Whodat / for the link !!

#12 ·
ok i see all the replys saying change the psu and try this but the fact remains. i have 7 computers here. the 1 with the ASUS board is the only 1 that has problems all the others have no problems. the other 2 asus boards in question, well 1 if them is in another location with 3 other computers. the computer with the asus board is the only 1 that plays up. The other computer in question at yet another location is in a room with 4 other computers and yes believe it or not. the computer with the asus board is the only 1 that plays up. logic points to the common component, the asus board

#13 ·
Ok the common denominator is certainly there ????? what can I say

I am not happy with Asus either / but my gut tells me NO way can they or would they put forth a board that JUNKY !!!!!!!!!! ??????

I can however see and feel your frustration !@#$%^&*()_

I have not seen any one individual (youre the first) with sooooo many bad P4 800 boards

I am running a P4P800-ED Dlx for 6 months now and have no problems / I have sold about 11 or 12 of the P4P800 or P4C800 boards have had two bad ones / their tech support brushed me off bad !! but they did RMA and replace both bad boards I just dont like being treated like they are in a hurry to hang up the phone.

In the future try Abit boards / I am myself ~~~ so far very happy / also try some GOOD quality PSU's though too :)

good luck let us know what further developments arise

regards

joe

#14 ·
linderman said:
Ok the common denominator is certainly there ????? what can I say

I am not happy with Asus either / but my gut tells me NO way can they or would they put forth a board that JUNKY !!!!!!!!!! ??????

I can however see and feel your frustration !@#$%^&*()_

I have not seen any one individual (youre the first) with sooooo many bad P4 800 boards

I am running a P4P800-ED Dlx for 6 months now and have no problems / I have sold about 11 or 12 of the P4P800 or P4C800 boards have had two bad ones / their tech support brushed me off bad !! but they did RMA and replace both bad boards I just dont like being treated like they are in a hurry to hang up the phone.

In the future try Abit boards / I am myself ~~~ so far very happy / also try some GOOD quality PSU's though too :)

good luck let us know what further developments arise

regards

joe
ok so out of the 11 or 12 boards, lets assume that on the safe side that u had 10 p4p800 e deluxes. u say that 2 came back as faulty. that makes for a 20% falier rate. Thats fairly poor if u ask me. still its better than my 99% falier rate. i only say 99% because the board i am currently useing hasnt faulted yet but i fully expect it to. I also have had 1 of the boards last 6 months and another last 9 months and some only last 2 months but in the end they do fail. I am still waiting on my latest replacement p4p800 e delux that i took back under warente 3 weeks ago. my faith in asus is gone now. i have had my winge but asus doesnt care. i am done with this topic and i am done with asus. i never thought i would think bad of asus but due to the poor product and poor service i have had in the past year i have to admit that i have a pure hate of asus now!!!.....lol they didnt even reply to my last epail i sent them. they just deleted it after a week, but in saying that i guess they had no reply to make being as all i said them in the last email was " contacting asus was about as helpfull as pushing rice up the eye of my *****" Not that they understand what i was saying anyways as from the previous replys i got they seemed to be struggling with the english language. I mean 1 of their replys went something like..... "we test motherboard long time".......hahahahahahahahahahah.....great service guys :4-dontkno

#15 ·
dude was it your south bridge chipset that fried? cause the same thing happend to mine and i got another board. but now i attached a heatsink to it

shamusmcfly said:
Ok here is the story.

of 5 motherboards, all have faulted with 1 of 2 faults. 1 motherboard is a P4P800-se and the other 4 are P4P800-e-delux. The P4P800-se had all the usb ports fail and the ps2 port at the same time. the other 4 boards being the P4P800-e-delux had the usb ports fail on 2 of them and the chipset visibly burnt out on the other 2. these boards are from 3 different computers , all with different power supplys, HDDs, and CPUs so that only leaves the motherboard as the common component that faults. i am down to only 1 of my motherboards being left under warrente and it is in being inspected as we speak. The problem i have is that the motherboard will mearly be replaced with an identicle board. this leaves me with another board that as far as i am concerned will fault. i emailed tech support about this issue with the P4P800 series, and all they could do is say it was an individual problem, ie: (customer at fault) and then told me to take the board back to the store i got it from for repear. I have done this 2 many times with the same board and i am sick of replaceing boards every 2 months or so. How is this customer service, why should i have to keep swapping boards when it is clearly a design flaw in the board. All i want is what i paid for and that is a motherboard that actually works for more than 2 months.

If anyone else has had either (1) the usb ports fail (2) the chipset burn out then please reply here so that asus can see that there is issues that i am not responsable for but i am paying for.

Looks like i am buying abit from now on. sad concidering that i have been a loyal customer of asus for many years now. I always have the latest ASUS video card, i always buy ASUS mainboards, and i have ASUS burners and an ASUS pda. I have 7 computers and as such give a fair amount of my hard earned cash to ASUS for their product. I am very dissapointed about how poorly my issues have been handeled by asus concidering the above.

shamusmcfly

#18 ·
pfx808 said:
yeh my p4p800s-se's usb ports kicked the bucket too... although i didn't have any visible damage
Thanks for your reply too pfx808 you are helping my arguement emensly.

Now all you others, do u want t try to tell me that its my gear thats causing the fault again because from what i can see, there are several other people that have the exact same problem that i have. whats the common component here....you guessed it, its the damn mainboard.

Also its been over a month now and i still dont my replacement p4p800-e delux from warentee repear. not that i am surprised!!!!!!

#19 ·
What kind of cases and cooling environment are these mobo's in....even in NY with high humidity and 100+ days with no a/c none of my asus boards have ever missesd a beat. While it is more than likely that you got a bunch of bad mobo's, of the thousands of these mobo's asus has shipped we get very few people that have to actually rma them its usually a set up or configuration/component selection issue. The southbridge chips should not need any aftermarket cooling solution provied the case has adequate cooling. Sounds like asus austrailia really needs to get its act together or they will loose a valuable customer. A month is too long to return an rma'd mobo, give them a call and demand satisfaction

#20 ·
np man. and i believe my front usb made my south bridge fry. idk. or i just had bad airflow.
since i got my new case and cpu fan. everything seems to be working great. but if my south bridge gets fried again then ill be pissed and will go down to asus myself and yell at them. o yeah and i will also let you all know about it.

#23 ·
NBK said:
Just saw this post. thanks heaps for this link m8. and to asus i suggest you check this out, almost everyone that has posted on the forum above has had between 2 and 4 boards die in EXACTLY the same mannor. Now try and tell me its my psu or something i am personally doing. I believe that i ane everyone else that has been ripped off by purchaseing this product is entitled to a full refund or an upgrade to a different moddle board that doesnt have the propbels that are DEFINATELLY present in the p4p800 series boards

#24 · (Edited)
P4P800 series issues

shamusmcfly said:
Just saw this post. thanks heaps for this link m8. and to asus i suggest you check this out, almost everyone that has posted on the forum above has had between 2 and 4 boards die in EXACTLY the same mannor. Now try and tell me its my psu or something i am personally doing. I believe that i ane everyone else that has been ripped off by purchaseing this product is entitled to a full refund or an upgrade to a different moddle board that doesnt have the propbels that are DEFINATELLY present in the p4p800 series boards
I had the same trouble with a P4P800SE after running smooth for 6 months. I had its ICH5R chip replaced at Asus Turkey RMA lab due to burnouts, 2 times in 2 months. I installed a better PSU (Aopen350 replaced with FSP400) and a UPS. It's been 6 months without any problems since yesterday.
I pressed the power button, the HD,keyb and CDROM powered up but the monitor had no video signal. (same symptoms again when I had the south bridge bursted) I screamed "NOOOOooo!" for about 50-60 seconds, then I saw the monitor led turned green. (!?) I rebooted and it happened again. System waits for about 50-60 seconds before turning on AGP and performing IDE detection and the screen scrolls kinda slow.

I thought I have detected the malign hardware(aopen PSU) that caused the problem before but now I'm not sure. If southbridge fails again with this replaced PSU and new UPS, I'll be %100 sure that P4P800SE boards have an issue and should be refunded or replaced by Asus.

(Also, I had some problems with the USB ports. A Zoom 5551a is connected via USB and it randomly stops responding and then freezes the XP if powered off. I'm not sure if it's related to the issue about the USB port failing.)

P4 Prescott 3.0 * Asus P4P800SE * Kington 2x256MB * nVidia FX5200 * WD 120GB * WD 160GB * Flexy PCI Firewire * LG CDR-DVD combo * FSP 400W PSU * Powersonic 800va UPS * Mustek 1200 scanner * Zoom 5551a ADSL * Keystation USB MIDI Keyb

#25 · (Edited)
noisywan said:
(Also, I had some problems with the USB ports. A Zoom 5551a is connected via USB and it randomly stops responding and then freezes the XP if powered off. I'm not sure if it's related to the issue about the USB port failing.)
yes sorry dude, sounds exactly the same as mine when they failed. sometimes they would work, sometimes they wouldnt, sometimes it would lock windows when i plugges a usb device in then in the end, they just stopped working all togeather. a pc isnt much good without a usb or ps2 port. i can navagate around fine with a keyboard and do almost everything i needed to but its my gameing machine and its no good to me without a working port to plug a mouse into. admitidly, a serial mouse worked...lol but who even has 1 of them nowdays. I have 1 but its an old ball mouse

#26 · (Edited)
shamusmcfly said:
yes sorry dude, sounds exactly the same as mine when they failed. sometimes they would work, sometimes they wouldnt, sometimes it would lock windows when i plugges a usb device in then in the end, they just stopped working all togeather. a pc isnt much good without a usb or ps2 port. i can navagate around fine with a keyboard and do almost everything i needed to but its my gameing machine and its no good to me without a working port to plug a mouse into. admitidly, a serial mouse worked...lol but who even has 1 of them nowdays. I have 1 but its an old ball mouse
A friend asked me to check for any electric current on the atx case and I have used a tester-screwdriver and when I touched it to the case, the led turned on. Looks like there is a grounding problem.

I wonder if this could be the cause for the USB failure and previous ICH5 burns (and current delayed-booting problem*)?

*(for about 1 weeks, the system bootup sequence starts with a ~30 second delay after I powerup/restart the system. I wait about ~30 seconds to see AGP powering up. It looks like its waiting for the BIOS to restore itself from the backup BIOS (AsusCrashFreeBIOS) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.