Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oleaut32.dll error

I have an older compaq laptop running windows 98. when I start up my computer i get an error saying: The OLEAUT32.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem. but before that when it very first starts it says: The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'lnk.' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again. if I just let it sit for a few seconds the OLEAUT32.DLL error comes up, followed by this: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor. Does anybody know where to start? Please let me know! THANKS! oh yeah by the way i cannot get computer to connect to internet through normal mode or safe mode, so I have no idea how to attack this. Thanks for all your help!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Well for one you will not get it connected to the internet in Safe Mode, 98 does not offer that option.

Click HERE and download the OLEAUT32.DLL. Unzip it to a location where you can find it. Copy it and paste it into the System folder.

What kind of connection do you have or are you trying to use? Dial-up/dsl/cable?

Try this:
Download WinsockFix and unzip it. Then double-click on it to run it. Reboot and try to connect to the internet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok well i am not very familair with 98 so i'm not sure about it's features. it is using dial up connection and every time i try to connect it gives me that error and will not do anything, so therefore i have no internet connection at all. i don't know if this is fixable without internet or not or if there is a way to make it work anyway. so i cant download anything with it. i can't even get it to run a disc or anything. so i'm lost for now, anything will help! THANKS!

·
15,478 Posts
What is the exact error you are getting when you try to connnect?
Is your modem drivers installed? You can find out by going to the Device Manager. (Right click My Computer, click properties then Device Manager tab)

That file and that program can be placed on a floppy or thumbdrive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
none of the drives will run anything not even the floppy. i tried to run a back up disc in the floppy drive and it did nothing. here are the errors that i get word for word:The OLEAUT32.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem. but before that when it very first starts it says: The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'lnk.' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again. then if i let it sit and do nothing to it after it loads up it gives me a windows error saying it it has performed an illegal operation and will shut down. its not locked up or anything i can go to control panel, but the only thing is when i get there the window is blank. there are no icons being displayed like usual same thing if i click on my computer is just shows a blank window. nothing works at all, but i can access files and control panel and things in safe mode.

·
15,478 Posts
The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'lnk.' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again.
This kind of thing can happen if you install software from a networked drive and then later detach from that network, which is a common. On the other hand, if you get the message every time you restart your machine, regardless of the circumstances, then you can safely delete the shortcut because it isn't doing you any good anyway.
Finding the shortcut can be a little tricky because Windows hides the fact that shortcuts have a lnk extension. You can see the extension if you right click on a shortcut and look at the MS-DOS name.
To find the shortcut, follow these steps: Open Windows Explorer and press Ctrl-F (hold down the control key and press F) to bring up the Find dialog. Select "Local Hard Drives" in the Look in dropdown, and enter ".lnk" (or whatever the error message reported for the name of the bad shortcut) in the Named field. When you click the Find Now button, Windows will search your hard drives for the shortcut and display what it found.

If you see more than one shortcut in the search results, you can probably figure out which one is causing the problem by looking at their properties. Right-click on a shortcut, select Properties from the popup menu, and click the Shortcut tab. The Target field shows you what file or program the shortcut points to. If the target's path refers to a drive that isn't connected to your system, you've found the culprit and can safely delete it.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=129

Click Start | Run and type msconfig
Select the Startup tab
What do you have listed there to run at startup?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank you so much for your help! I actually fixed the problem. It all started when a program was being installed and turns out the disc was bad. I recieved a new copy of the same program from the maker and I put it in the drive and low and behold it ran the disc and I guess it fixed itself. So as of now everything is right back to where it was. It all works great! Thanks again!

·
15,478 Posts
Dont understand how you resolved it with the issues you were having but you say your issue is resolved.
Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.