Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New sound card Prevents BOOT ?!?!?

HI there, im need of some urgent help to do with the instalation of a new sound card.
Firstly the computer runs on windows 2000, pentium 4 1.7ghz.
The computer has recently had problems with its on board sound(realtek Ac'97) and we have purchased a Aopen Cobra Aw-840 to replace the lacking on board sound.

When Installing the card into a free PCI slot and attempting to start the computer, the computer will not start, the process LED is still on and the computer will not bring up any Boot diagnostics etc. as usual. If the card is switched between the remainding PCI slots and even into a used slot where the network card once was, the same problem occurs. As soon as the card is removed the computer starts as normal and has no problems. I have searched around the internet and could not find anything similar to my problem.

Could the problem have to do with the motherboards BIOS? or Windows 2000?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JOSH

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
You need to disable onboard sound in BIOS whenever you install a new sound card, but even if you haven't done that the PC should start and run Windows without any sound. Can you test the card in another computer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had tried to disable the onboard sound in the bios, that did not help. I have Also tried the card in a different computer, it did the same thing first time i installed the card, the computer wouldnt boot up, then i tried plugging in the cable connected to the cd drive, then it booted, took out that cable and the original no cable/no boot problem wasnt there and it booted fine.

Any more help people ?!?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem has been fixed. i plugged the car din again and it jsut decided to work this time..... after like 10 times of not working...

Gotta love computers ..................................................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.