Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my comp WONT shut down

dont know where to post this thread so i figured here was a good starting place.
my comp wont shut down i hit the button and it goes to a blank screen with a cursor in the top left corner and stops, it just sits there with the cursor flashing until i hit the power button.
hubby just reformated (last night) because after doing this for several weeks, it decided only to start up in safe mode as the system.ini file was not locatable.
can you suggest what to do.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Make sure that your Operating System and Internet Explorer are up-to-date by visiting the Windows Update Site and downloading all of the Critical Updates and Service Packs.

Are you now booting into normal mode with this fresh install of Windows ME? Is it still not shutting down?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hae updated internet explorer, but i figured i would hold off on the critical updates until i got the OS operating properly, so that i know what the updates have altered as i have had problems with the updates before. yes it is booting up in normal mode for now, but i am worried that the same thing will happen. it was a complete reformat not just a reinstall of windows, but starting from scratch which unfortunately when i transfered things back onto my C: and deleted them off my D: i didn't realise one of the folders with all my photos on didn't copy and is now gone, but thats life. it shut down when it was first installed, but when i reinstalled some of my programs it stopped. the installed items are - epson printer, external dvd burner, avg, zone alarm, system mechanic , registry mechanic and then it stopped shutting down. i can do a hjthis if it helps.
i am unsure but i think that the shutting down problem occured the same time i installed the printer, but i am not sure.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
It is essential to keep your computer's operating system and programs in top condition. That means keeping up with applying patches, hotfixes and service packs.
You should have installed the critical updates before you installed any of your programs. After I get the O.S. installed and all the drivers for the mobo and adapter cards the critical updates are the next things to get installed, then I proceed to install my security programs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
when i do the critical updates i have problems such as the fact that all i have done is update from ie5.5 to ie6 and now i can't create a new folder in explorer. previously i have updated and lost other functions of explorer such as the folder options when viewing things which defeats the drag and drop option when organising my comp. that aside everyone does things differently as i hadn't been online at the time i was installing all the things that were plugged into my comp i.e. printer, video, audio etc along with my security stuff so that when i went online to do the updates i at least had some protection while on line. there is a problem and installing the critical updates will not fix the problem.
part of the reason i put the maintenance stuff on was because it was on the disk with avg and zone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have had a thought and experimented.
i can shut down properly if i boot up in safe mode, i konw there is a way of altering the startup setup is there a way of checking the processes that the comp is doing in regards to shutting down?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
When in safe mode only the basic items are installed and running, try removing everything that is not absolutely nescessary and see if it shuts down. If it does add one thing at a time untill you find the culprit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no luck i tried shutting pff all except explorer and systray and it still didn't shut down properly.
i can list for you what is running and what is listed in the start up if you want.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey guys you won't believe what i discovered. i have loan of a friends external dvd burner and well low and behold when i turn it off before i shut down it shuts down lok. i feel like a dork. thanks for your suggestions

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes that is what i am saying for some reason, while the comp will turn off the digital camera when it shuts down it gets stuck when it tries to shut down when the dvd burner is left on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.