Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and until recently had a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 video card in it. I decided to upgrade and got an AGP 6800XT.

I took out the old fx5200, stuck in the 6800xt, replugged everything back and started my computer but my monitor stays black. The light on it flashes green at the moment the computer starts up but then shortly after it reverts to orange and doesn't show anything.

I know its probably a problem with my PSU, but on http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354
it says the 6800 uses only 2 watts more than the fx5200. (38 and 36)

I took out the new one and am now using the old one and the monitor works fine.

Thanks in advance for any help, and if theres any computer information needed that I left out please ask.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Remove the old video drivers from add remove programs, then install the new card. Start the computer and tap F8 repeatedly. Now choose VGA mode and install the drivers that came with the new card. Reboot.

If that don't work google "driver cleaner pro" download and install driver cleaner and run from with in safe mode and remove any drivers relating to video, then do the above again

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. Anyways, I removed the nvidia drivers from the control panel and it forced a reboot on my computer. Then I turned it off and put in the new card but when I tried turning it back on the monitor still wouldn't show anything.

I stuck the old one back in, turned it on safe mode and ran Driver Cleaner Pro, turned it off, put the new one in, and even after that the monitor would stay black.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If you can still get into safe mode, do two things. Do the drive cleaner again as Doby suggested (that usually does it), then go to the device manager and delete/uninstall anything under the video area. Then, shut down, put in your new card and let the computer find it and see what happens.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'll try that the next chance I get.

And just to clarify: On driver cleaner, I just select Nvidia on the drop down menu and click start right?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
where do you get the 2w difference from try a 50% increase is more accurate
Umm... sorry could you reword that please? I'm not that good with computers and don't know what "2w" means. :tongue:

Edit:
Oh and as for the video card problem I probably won't be able to get to trying it again until tomorrow.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
dai is refering to 2watt you said the video cards power differance in post 1 when the 6800 uses much more and this could be a power issue and you need a better psu.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah...
It probably is a problem with my PSU because Driver Cleaner doesn't seem to be fixing it. But on that one site that I linked to in my first post, from a sticky on this site by Dai, the watt difference between my new and old card seems very little.

Anyways, is there any way that I can get it to work without having to go and buy a new PSU? I'm thinking of replacing my computer in 2-3 years and was hoping this new card would make it last a little longer, so if I had to get a new PSU, would it be more economical to just replace my computer altogether?

I currently have a Pentium 2.4ghz processor and 1GB of ram.

Is there any way to stop other power consuming hardware on the computer to free up some for the card to function properly? I have a CD drive and a burner. I just really dont want to go and have to spend another hundred dollars and wait another week to get my computer able to play some games I've recently purchased and have been anxious to play.

Hehe long post... sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
first check it is power see if you can borrow a supply to try in it,if it is look for a supply from someone who has upgraded
we have a local bulletin board and they come up on it reguarly at good prices

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Do all power supplies fit or do you need a specific kind for specific kinds of computers?

Edit:
And if its not too much of a problem, could you give me a link to the forum? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just curious, if it was the PSU, wouldn't it be a problem while I play demanding graphical games? Because (I'm probably wrong but) I thought video cards didn't need that much power on boot ups. Or is it that my PSU is just so horribly underpowered that it is just impossible for it to run?

And also, about how many watts do you think I need? I looked at the PSU sticky thread that showed some nice recommendations but I'm not sure if my computer is under low-end or standard.

Thanks for the help Dai.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I'm terrible at computers because I can't really fill out the stuff on the calculator...

Anyways, I found out the watt difference between the Fx5200 and 6800GT since it was the highest watt demanding 6800 card and 6800XT wasn't there and it turned out to be 22 watts. Does that sound about the right amount of lack of watts to cause my problem?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I looked around the site for PSU help and found http://www.techsupportforum.com/f70/outdated-power-supply-information-and-selection-107466.html

It recommended:

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN
Estimated Price: $ 41.99 [price quote accurate on 01-15-07]
Rails: Dual 12V / [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Efficiency Rating: 70%
Cooling Fans: 1
PFC: None
Connectors: 20 & 24 pin connections (20 + 4)
Peripheral: / PCI Express 6 Pin x 1 / SATA x 2 / P4 4Pin x 1 / Big 4 Pin x 6 / Small 4 Pin x 1 /
Manufacturer’s Website: HERE
Review link: HERE
Warranty: 2 years
Comments: Very strong 400 watt PSU and competively priced. This company also offers an AX450-PN PSU in this class. The referenced supply is 450 watts for slightly more at $51.50. Both are excellent power supplies and are recommened by our team.
Additional recommended PSU link: FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450

SPARKLE ATX-400PN-B204 ATX 12V 2.0 400W
Estimated Price: $43.99 [price quote accurate on 01-15-07]
Rails: Dual 12V / [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Efficiency Rating: 70%
Cooling Fans: 1
PFC: None
Connectors: Main connector (20+4 pin)
Peripheral: / 12V (P4 x 1) / peripheral x 5 / SATA x 1 / Floppy x 1 / pci-e x 1 /
Manufacturer’s Website: HERE
Review link: HERE
Warranty: Unknown
Comments: This is a very respectable PSU maker; one of the only manufacturers that informs you to derate the output of this unit 2 degrees Celcius for every degree the PSU must operate in temps above 25C. This derating figure is valid up to 50C !!

for "standard computers"

Which of these would fit my system best, and which are compatible with it?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.