Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microsot/windows update locks my system

I just completed recovering my system to a new hard drive. Everything appears to work correctly except for the automatic update feature from Microsoft. I can download anytime I want but when using the automatic download, the automaic download locks. I can go to the update site and do a check on what updates are needed and the system reports back correctly. I select what updates to download and hit start. After that the download does not start. From the system error logs, it appears the remote dowload process can not connect with the DCOM server. The only way out is to terminate the application.

I could manuallly download the updates from MS, but really would like to get the auto update feature working. Would a reinstall of SP2 or any other updates work. SFC did not correct anything. When trying to do a repair reinstall with a genuine XP SP2 disk, I keep geting files not found and a request to put in a SP2 disk. I can put the SP2 files on my harddrive to make them easier to find, but its a tedious process. Any suggestions. I even tried without the Windows firewall disabled, and with and without antivirus SW. I'm currently using AVG. Previous AV was Nortons AV 2005.

Regards,
Azarby

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
What brand of HD is it?
I'm asking becaqsue there may be a Mfg's HD tool available that can be used to zero-sum-fill the drive, and then reformat it. :sayyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not a hard drive issue. The drive is actually a 4 drive RAID 5 system. I converted from a 3 drive to 4 drive system. In order to do that, you need to blow away the drives and reinstall. The hardware itself is fine. I believe the problem occurred somewhere in the removal of the Norton Antivirus and Ghost SW. It looks like it could be related to the Windows Installer SW and possiblly a Windows Protected Access issue. I think right now, I will try to reinstall SP2 and if that doesn't work, try the reapir install again. I think that if I could find a way to delete the Windows update and then reinstall it, my problem would go away.

Does anyone know where the Windows Update parameters are located in the registry so I can see if any keys are corrupted?

azarby

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, problem solved.

The error I was getting was 0x80070002. I tried several hints from the Microsoft site, but no luck. I finally just reinstalled SP2 and presto, problem solved.

Regards
azarby

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
Yes, I knew it wasn't a HD problem but rather a Norton problem. Norton is notorious for casuing all sorts of problems when you uninstall it.
Solved your own problem, eh? You win a cookie. :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.