Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HUGE Problem!

Hi i'm new here...here's my story....

My computer motherboard is a Soyo K7VM333....
2 months ago, I replaced my 1.1 ghz AMD Duron with a 2.0ghz AMD Sempron 2800+ (Identified by computer as a 2.0ghz AMD Athlon XP 2400+)

I also have:
1.25 GB or ram....(1gb PC2700 ram + 256mb PC2100 ram)
Chaintech Geforce 6200 256mb video card

The problem is my hard drives.....

I had a P-ATA Western Digital 160gb hard drive that I bought a few months back.....I partitioned the drive, formatted it to ntfs and installed Windows XP SP2 os on it. I used my old 34gb Maxtor drive as a slave drive to backup my files.....I did that about 2 months ago....The computer worked great up until this week.

My new Western Digital 160gb drive hard drive started to make a little noise as I used the computer, and I noticed when it made that "click" noise, my computer got slow....then so I tried to restart the computer.....when I restarted the computer, the BIOS did not detect my 160gb hard drive anymore! According to the Western Digital instructions sheet, my drive had failed. (It just made clicking noises and would not get detected or even make the hard drive noise when u start up the comp)....But I had only used this drive for 2 months!! I have recently obtained their RMA warranty thingy for a new drive so Im waiting for that replacement drive to come it.

So now I decided to use my old 34 gb Maxtor drive temporarily, because it still seemed to work i've NEVER had problems with. I reformatted it and installed Windows XP onto it. It worked great. But then the next day, as I was using it, it made the "click" noise, and my computer restarted! As soon as it restarted it got to the screen where the black "Windows XP loading" is suppose to appear, but it was just black with nothing. I then inserted the Windows XP CD and booted from there....It finally loaded Windows up and as soon as I got to the desktop, The Hard drive made the "click" noise and it restarted again! Now All I can get to is the Desktop....and before I can click on anything, the Hard drive "clicks" a few time and it restarts.....I tried to log into "Safe Mode" but it still does that.....

So I decide to reinstall windows XP onto it...re-partitioned my 34gb Maxtor drive.....and reformatted it......no problem there....but when It got to the part where it was supposed to copy files onto the hard drive to install.....it stayed at 0% FOREVER.....

Why am I all of a sudden having these hard drive problems?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Welcome to TSF :sayyes:
You said Old Maxtor how old?
What is your Power supply wattage?
As to why you :4-dontkno Some times thats the way it works. I just recieved a RMA'd harddrive that was is a replacemnt for the first RMA :4-dontkno

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oldmn said:
Welcome to TSF :sayyes:
You said Old Maxtor how old?
What is your Power supply wattage?
As to why you :4-dontkno Some times thats the way it works. I just recieved a RMA'd harddrive that was is a replacemnt for the first RMA :4-dontkno
The Maxtor drive is pretty old....like from back in the days old....maybe 3-4 years old....I used to use it when I had a Pentium 3 500mhz.....

My power supply is 480 watt

So those Western digital drives just suck?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Your PSU should be sufficient. :sayyes:
It sound as if the Maxtor is :dead:
As to Western digital drives quality :4-dontkno From what I have read they are not one of the more popular drives.
I have seagates at the moment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmm...has anyone heard of or have experienced similar things like I have.....or do you think it's just a coincidence that both my hard drives decided to mess up on me at the same time?

BTW, how do I check the temperature of my computer? I noticed my computer gets pretty warm, very warm, but there's never been an overheating problem before. Although last year I had another 480 wat Power supply that fried on me after about 2 months of use..so I replaced it with this one under warranty and it's been working ever since....about 9 months now...I also have another fan mounted to the back of the case too...

I just lost alot of data on that 160gb drive....and now with this maxtor messin up on me....I fear the same is gonna happen when I get my new drive too. :sayno:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Scotty:

The biggest rip offs in the world of computers is GENERIC power supply's !!

They advertise them as 500 watt and such but they arent worth the beautiful box they come in !! I bet money the click you are hearing is the thermal protection tripping in the power supply or hard drives / hard drives have a thermal cut out too !!

I strongly suggest you opt for an Enermax or Antec PSU of about 550 watts ($100.00)/ you dont have to need that much >>> but PLEASE show me the savings when buying 450's & 480's ?????? what are guys saving $20.00 maybe / i would much rather have a larger capability PSU that NEVER runs run hard ~~ stays very stable on voltage delivery then I would to use a PSU that ALMOST gets tapped out / its very similar to a gasoline motor >> an engine thats runs at 2,000 rpm's at full load will last alot longer than an engine pushing 3,500 rpm's at full load

temp monitoring / here is a prog to download (free)
http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

when running the sandra prog copy and paste your system temps, cpu temps and system voltages in here for evaluation by the techs

as for your OS not installing AGAIN (bad move to do multiple installs without very good indication of windows problem) you will probally have to zero fill the drive with an eraser prog as multiple OS installs generally dont do well / at least not a high percentage of the time !!
try this free drive eraser prog / then reload windows (swap PSU first)
http://dban.sourceforge.net/ >>>> download floppy verison

here is a link to give you an idea what PSU's are REALLY all about
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

I hope you get your problem resolved to your satisfaction / dont hesitate to ask more questions

you could try going to Best Buy, Comp USA or other chain store computer place and buy an Enermax or Antec PSU (no house brands !!) if thats not your problem you can return it !! or try a swapper from another computer ????

how many case fans do you have on interior of computer case ????? heat kills computer componets FAST

regards

joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I see...heh...I have no computer right now....I'm just writing this from other comps...

I noticed I set the jumper wrong on the single drive 34gb maxtor so it detected it as a slave (if that matters)......so I reset the jumper and it detected it as master now.....

After that I put in the Windows XP cd to install it...(because I have no OS on the drive) and this time it gave me an error....forgot what it says but it said something about there being important missing files.....so I restarted the comp, after I restarted the comp...it goes to a black screen that says "NTLDR is missing, Press alt+ctrl+del to restart"

Oh BTW...I bet it's a crappy Power supply that I have too...becuz It only costs like 30-40 bucks but my power supply is a "Apower"(with a lightning bolt on it) 480 Watt "Gamers" power supply......

I noticed alot of computers run for days and they are really cool, with cool air coming out the back fan and really quiet.....Is that all based on ur power supply? Because my power supply seems to run a bit noisier....and after about 15-20 minutes it gets warm...and even later...it gets even warmer....longest i've had it running was probably 2 days....and it didnt fail on me...but it's still a hot comp....

I only have 1 extra case fan attached to the computer case....

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Scott:

youre getting closer / run the boot & nuke on the drive to erase all previous OS data files partially left there from the previous installs / then it will "willingly" load the OS / i promise :)

if you want info on the NTLDR missing

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320397

but if you want to cure the problem easy / erase the drive and then install OS

you got ALOT of reading to do / and there will be a test on all this tomm AM :) LOL

cheers

joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man..this is quite gay....

I ran the Darik's Boot and nuke program.....it went up to about around 70% and then seemed to have a problem, so it finished all of a sudden (at 70%) with "non-fatal errors".....I saved the error log onto a disk (but I have no access to a floppy drive right now) after that...I restarted the comp and the harddrive just makes clicking noises...The computer still detects it though...so I tried to install the windows XP on it....as soon as it gets to the blue installation options screen...I press enter to install XP...then an error comes up saying somethings wrong....this sucks...I hope the next drive doesnt fail on me....do you think this problem is due to other things, like maybe my motherboard? Or is it strictly my harddrives? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oldmn said:
It is possable that your power supply is putting out to high of voltage and frying these drives.
Drives failing ya two drives fialing allmost back to back. :sayno:

I see.....Any suggestions? Is there a setting somewhere?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
suggestion = new PSU ~~ new hard drive (your drive sounds like toast) >>> this is where cheap generic PSU's DONT pay >>> then they fry PC components and the PSU needs to be replaced the savings is then very hard to see >>> even compounded by the data loss and time needed to reinstall OS and progs

:ukliam2:

goodluck

joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh man..I can't afford a good PSU right now...I DO have an unused 450watt PSU that is in my empty case I bought. It's probly generic too though...it's called "Premier" plus or something....there's a sticker on it that says support Intel Pentium, Support AMD athlon....maybe I should swap this one in?

my current PSU is a $30 PSU that is made by Apower...."gamer's" edition or something and all the fans are light up....and it gets warm....I've had one go out on me before...but got another one under warranty...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for double posting...I can't find the edit button....

I noticed my current Apower PSU says "for Intel P4"....I have AMD, does that matter?

Well I just decided, to swap my 480watt Apower PSU for the "Premier plus" 450 watt supply that was unused in my extra case....It says support Intel and AMD...and guess what? Darik's boot and nuke finished and cleared my drive....no more problems...I've just finished reformatting the drive, and now i'm in the process of installing XP....I hope only the PSU was the problem... I feel much better now....for the moment...:sleep:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HEY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! This power supply change seems to have fixed the problem......I'm back on my comp typing this here post right now.....hope this PSU lasts....THANKS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.