Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HP Pavilion 6573Z OS installation problems

I have an HP Pavilion 6573Z that I bought with no OS or hard drive. Using both a 4.3GB Quantum Fireball, and a 8.0GB Fujitsu hard drive, I have attempted to install each Windows 98SE and Windows XP Professional (obviously not at the same time). I ran into the errors listed below.

Windows 98SE - The machine will boot from the CD, and will proceed to the point where the screen displays "Inspecting your computer's hardware configuration.....Copying files needed for Windows Setup" and then it will freeze. The CD-Rom simply stops running. I know the install disk is a good one, and so is the optical drive, since I have used both successfully before.

Windows XP - Boots from CD, and proceeds to the point of copying the Kernel Debugger DLL, and then it will stop and give the following error "setupdd.sys not found...Error Code is 4" (Same error was found using another copy of the installation disk)

Now, I have heard the HP's are notorious for troublesome settings in their BIOS. Is there some setting I can change that will allow the system to install the OS? I am truly puzzled by this. I am not exactly a newbie. I have installed many OS's on many second hand systems, and I have never run into an issue I could not resolve on my own. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Which OS you want to install will maybe determine what we need to look at. If you want to use Win98, then I would suggest you Fdisk the drive before getting started. We will be happy to walk you through that. If you want to use WinXP, then we could walk you through the procedure to make sure a step might have been missed. Please reply which you prefer and we can take a look at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would prefer to install Windows XP, though I would be willing to entertain any opinion on which install would give me greater chances for success.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
it's likely a hardware problem, though it could be due to bios error if you didn't clear it before attempting an install.

go into bios and look for "Reset Configuration Data" and enable it, alternative is to remove cmos battery for 10 minutes.

then look for 'fail safe' or 'optimum performance' and use one of them to set the defaults, make sure virus check is disabled too, save and exit bios.

if still a problem then run memtest86 (link below) to test the ram.

or you could try the stuff listed here...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I know that you know basically what is going on from your post, but please bear with me while I go through even the simple steps so we know what is happening.

First of all, take one of your drives and put it on IDE #1 alone on the cable. Set the jumpers to Master and place it on the END of the ribbon cable. Leave the other slot blank for now with no other drive on IDE #1.

Second, make sure you have the CDRom on IDE #2 (if alone on the ribbon cable) set to master and placed on the end of the ribbon cable.

Note: If this does not work, then place them both on the IDE #1 slot with the hard drive set as master on the end of the ribbon cable and the CDRom as slave with jumpers set to slave and placed in the middle of the ribbon cable.

Third, enter the BIOS setup menu and set your boot order as:

CDRom
Floppy
Hard Drive you want to be the boot drive

While in the BIOS setup menu, make sure the PnP option is set to Disabled for WinXP (If using win98, set it to enabled)

Don't forget to save before you exit.

Boot up the OS disk and try to install and tell us what it says.

If it starts, let the OS do a partition and format before you try to install.

Note: If this procedure does not work, then go to the hard disk manufacturer's website and download their utility and have it prepare the disk by partitioning and formatting the disk drive, then try the above procedure again.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
HI,

If you choose to do the Win98 install, do this:

Go to Bootdisk.com and download a Win98se boot disk.

Set up your system as described in the earlier section.

Enter the BIOS setup menu and set the boot order to:

Floppy
CDRom
Hard Disk you want to boot from

Be sure to set the PnP area to Enabled for Win98.

Don't forget to save before you exit.

Boot from the floppy you created.

Type FDisk when it comes up.

Select delate all partitions

Create a partition

Activate the partition you have created.

Reboot and let it come back up with the floppy still being used..

When it comes back up type Format C: or simply Format will usually work. Don't forget to hit enter.

Let it format....then (my quirk) shut back down and reboot still using the created floppy.

When it asks, select to start with CDRom support

When it stops, put your Win98 disk in the CDRom

Type either Setup C: or Setup will usually work...hit enter

And, it should take off and install the operating system.

Let us know the results.

·
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update 10/25/05

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. Below are the steps I took and the results.
1. HDD on primary IDE as master
2. CD-Rom on secondary IDE as master
3. Configuration reset in BIOS. PnP enabled.
4. Boot config. – FDD, CD, HDD
5. Booted from floppy Win98SE boot disk.
6. Started computer with CD-Rom support
7. Ran fdisk, removing all current partitions, and creating/activating new partition.
8. After rebooting, and again booting from FDD, and starting with CD-rom support, attempted to run format c:, returned “Bad command name” error.
9. Changed to d:, and ran setup.exe. Installation started successfully.
10. During installation, Setup formatted HDD.
11. FDD not recognized during creation of boot disk. Skipped this step, since I already had one.
12. Proceeded with setup, until automatic reboot step.
13. During reboot, Windows would attempt to start, but error would appear “user.exe not found”, then computer shuts down automatically. Subsequent attempts to startup tried to start in Safe Mode, but would hang up indefinitely during Windows loading screen (Full screen Windows logo with status bar at bottom).

The suggestions I received were very helpful, and got me much further than I had gotten up to that point. It seems to me that I may have a damaged hard drive or other hardware problem. The hard drives were suspect to begin with, but I thought they were still usable. If anyone has any further suggestions, I would be glad to hear them. Again, thanks for everyone’s help.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Since you are king of having a great time with this one, why not go through again and Fdisk it again , do what you have done through the step of creating a new partition and then make it active. After you have made it active, At that point, DO NOT REBOOT, but just type in Format hit enter and see what happens....if not workie, then try format C: and hit enter....or even format c:\ and hit enter.....let us know what happens.
After it is formatted (if it does), then reboot select with CDRom support and when it comes up type setup and hit enter....or setup c: and hit enter.....or setup c:\ and hit enter....you get the picture.....see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Success at last!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all who posted suggestions on how to fix my problem. Using a combination of those suggestions, and a little of perserverance, I was finally able to sucessfully install Windows 98SE on my machine. Below are the steps I took to a successful installation:

1. Removed CMOS battery for about 15 minutes.
2. Removed PCI video card that was not part of original factory installation,
and switched back to factory-installed onboard video.
3. Installed CMOS battery, and booted from floppy, and started computer with CD-ROM support.
4. Ran fdisk, and deleted existing NTFS partition. (I had attempted to install Windows XP, but that's a story for another forum). Created and activated new DOS partition.
5. Without rebooting, attempted to run format c:, format, format c:\. Received "Bad command or file name" error each time.
6. Rebooted again, and received error message that 8.0GB HDD was damaged, and needed to be replaced.
7. Shut down, installed 4.3 GB HDD, and repeated steps 3-5, with same results.
8. Rebooted again from floppy, and with floppy and Win98SE install CD in their drives, selected "Setup Windows 98"
9. Setup started, formatted the hard drive, and completed the installation successfully.

Tip: The driver for the factory-installed onboard video is included on
the Windows 98SE installation disk, under the D:\drivers\display\intel\i810 folder. Windows will not find it automatically. You will either have to enter the above path during installation, or do what I did, and let Windows assign a default driver to it, and after Windows starts up, install it manually through Control Panel. If anyone has a question on this procedure, post a thread, and I will gladly walk them through it.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.