Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
home networking

i have a usb adsl modem, the only way for it to connect to my computer is through usb, i want to set up a lan, sharing this internet connection
i was just looking for advice on which is cheaper/better, getting a usb router or getting a new modem with extra ports?

im guessing the first one but i didnt want to assume, and also i wondered if anyone else had done this, and if anyone could reccomend a product
thanks
sam

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I guess it would be more of an economic decision?? Which is cheaper a DSL modem with Ethernet or a USB router?? Even if you buy an Ethernet DSL modem, you still need a router. I would see if you could trade your DSL modem with your ISP for a Ethernet router for little or no cost?

Personally, I would not want to be tied to a USB interface, it has a lot of limits and leaves you with only a few more expensive router options.

JamesO

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that

i went crazy and brought a wireless adsl modem router

all in one really, just hope it does what i want
i know i will need an ethernet card for this and they are standard, but would the wireless card on my laptop need to be anything specific?

the modem router can be found here

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Only concern I see is "Supports ADSL ex. BT"! So I hope BT is not your DSL provider.

This looks like it should support most wireless G and B products without much issue. I would be surprised if you could not connect via your laptop wireless.

JamesO

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kool cheers

its a bt line?
but the isp is tsicali?

its the line that matters isnt it so im f****d

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Can't comment for sure on the BT limitation. I assume it has more to do with the actual DSL signalling from the DSLAM equipment at the PTT office rather than the phone line carrier??

BT may use specific standards for their DSL service??

Good luck, you will know fairly quickly as I assume the modem with either work or not work!

JamesO

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i suppose cheers, my mate is setting it up for me tuesday as i dont no much about wireless setup so i want to make sure its done properly

will let you know how it goes, cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it does work with my connection
i havn't got my laptop avaliable to me yet to try it wirless, but wierd ethernet to my pc works

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Glad to hear it is working out for you. Hopefully the wireless will not be an issue.

FYI, if your laptop has an internal Intel 2100/2200 card, you should check on firmware updates as these cards had some issues with the original firmware release.

JamesO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.