Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HL2 filesystem_steam.dll error

I bought Half Life 2 Gold Edition when it first came out and have been playing with no problems until a few days ago. I clicked the usual Steam icon, then clicked Play Games from the systray icon and chose HL2 from the menu.

The 'Preparing to play' window comes up and then error message "HL2 has caused an error in FILESYSTEM_STEAM.DLL. HL2 will now close." Same error with Deathmatch. All updates are completed and the Properties/Status is 'Ready to play'.

So I uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled but I'm still getting the error and the games won't start.

After searching the Steam forums and googling, I found a few links which advised checking for duplicates of the following files.
Steam.dll is in Program Files\Valve\Steam (3588kb)
Filesystem_Steam.dll is in Program Files\Valve\Steam\bin (121k) and in Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\account\half-life 2 deathmatch\bin (204kb)

So I deleted the last 2, but they are recreated when I start the game again, same error message.

Any ideas?

Note: The steam account is valid and I can view servers and install updates, just the games won't start. All drivers up to date, everything else works, and the only recent system changes are a new 550W PSU and I moved the swap file to a faster drive... nothing that would cause this error.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... it didn't work though. I've emailed the Valve support forum and am waiting for a reply. I'll post back if it gets fixed.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Up and running again. 3 updates in the past week, one of them must have sorted out the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.