Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help with scrollbar and crashes

I'm having problems with the vertical scrollbar. At times, the mouse does not control it, and it moves on its own to the top. If I try to drag it back down, it will go back up again. Sometimes it stops on its own. Sometimes I have to restart the computer. The computer also freezes up completely at times. Any help would be appreciated. FYI- I ran all the virus programs suggested and I don't seem to have any virus problems, so I thought it might be something else. Thanks.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Try this:
Click Start >Settings>Control Panel>Printers and Other Hardware >Mouse and on the Buttons tab and clear the Turn on ClickLock box

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still need help

I got to the buttons tab, but I don't see anything saying ClickLock Box.

My symptoms continue on and off. Sometimes the computer works fine, but often the vertical scrollbar will move all the way up, and the mouse will not control it unless I hold it. The computer has slso been freezing more often.

I've run the regular virus checkers and found nothing.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
15,478 Posts
Run these programs and online scanners to rule out malware/spyware completely

Scan your pc with 2 of these free online scanners:
Panda ActiveScan
RAV AntiVirus
Housecall Be sure to put a check the box beside AutoClean
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download / Install / Update / and Run:
Adaware SE check for any updates before running it.
Get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. You can download it at this SITE
To run this tool, install to the hard drive, then open Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection.

Download and install Spybot S&D . Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran the virus checkers

I followed your previous directions. They did find some spyware and tracking cookies. Here's the report from Panda:
Incident Status Location

Dialer:dialer.bb No disinfected HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{38D4D5D0-423E-4220-B6F9-30918C2AE4A4}
Adware:Adware/PurityScan No disinfected C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\FS121.CAB[A0031582.CPY]
I also ran Spybot, Adaware, and Housecall. I removed anything that I could. Let me know if I can do anything else.

The scrollbar was acting up again earlier today, but not since I ran the virus programs. I'll have to wait and see if it happens again. Thanks.

·
15,478 Posts
You will notice you have a dialer infecting your system with no disinfection. I suggest you post a HJT log in the Security Forum so they may help you rid of it.
Dialer:dialer.bb No disinfected HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{38D4D5D0-423E-4220-B6F9-30918C2AE4A4}

Please follow these instructions.

Download and install: HiJackThis.

(Always create a Folder for HiJackThis anywhere but your Temp/Temporary Internet Folders or Desktop. A good place to make a folder would be in My Documents, as this is where it will save the backup files needed if there's a problem.)

Then doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Do A System Scan And Save Log". Make sure all Windows and Browsers are closed.
When the scan is finished, best to save your text file in the same folder as where you put HiJackthis.

IMPORTANT!!!
Create a New Topic and include a fresh HJT log in the HiJackThisLog Help Forum and Copy/Paste the info from your saved Hijackthis log file into your new topic.

A Moderator/ Security Team Analyst will give you instructions.

***DO NOT TRY TO FIX ANYTHING, MAJOR DAMAGE CAN BE DONE TO YOUR SYSTEM IF THIS TOOL IS USED INCORRECTLY, PLEASE WAIT FOR AN ANALYST/MODERATOR TO GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS***

Always describe your problem and any programs you have used to try to resolve your issue. Your description can go a long way to solving/repairing your particular issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I just posted my hijack this log into the security forum. Hopefully I can get this fixed. Thanks again.

·
15,478 Posts
When they get your system clean please post back to let us know if this has resolved your issue.

If not I want you to change your mouse, try a different ps/2 mouse.
I also want you to click start/run and type in msconfig.
Click the startup tab and uncheck the box beside KB891711.EXE, its a Microsoft Update that has caused issues in Windows ME systems.

·
15,478 Posts
Everyone has their own opinon about previous operating systems. Yes Windows ME was/is not one of the best, but mbanks may have no choice at this time to upgrade, or maybe mbanks likes Windows ME.

This forum is here to help resolve issues at hand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems to be resolved

Security team helped me to find some problems. Everything seems great for the time being. From the above messages, I'm assuming it would be good for me to stop using ME at some point? Thanks again Geekgirl for helping.

·
15,478 Posts
As you read, ME was never a good Operating System from the get-go

" Back in 2002, Windows 98 & 98SE were scheduled to enter "End of Life" on June 30, 2004, while Windows Millennium Edition (ME) was scheduled to reach that stage on December 31, 2005. Last June Microsoft extended the "End of Life" date for Windows 98 & 98SE to January 16th, 2005."

Microsoft Extends Windows 98 Support Lifecycle

When you decide to change your O.S.to XP, please do a full installation over an upgrade. You will only have issues when doing an upgrade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.