Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[HELP PLS] XP freeze at welcome screen

Hi,

Today, I've added another 512MB ram to my desktop. At the beginning, everything seems fine. by that I mean, I can see the memory test is ok. I can see the Windows is loading (that black screen with windows xp icon)...
here comes the problem. my computer freeze at XP welcome screen (that is, the light window blue screen with word "Welcome").

would anyone give me some suggestions, how to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance!
warden

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

Remove the stick of memory you added and see if you can boot into Windows.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you cannot, try to boot off of a knoppix STD CD. This CD will have the tools u need to stop what is in the startup list. It may be that there is to much, or a problem causer program that stops the loading screen. That was my last problem with a computer, but the computer would just reboot...
-blitze

·
Registered
187 Posts
i dont think that its in the start-up list because the start-up list doesnt start untill the user logs in. It might be in the boot. If Geekgirl's suggestion to take out the 512MB ram doesnt work then try safe mode. Press F8 while the computer is starting up, then select Safe Mode. If that works then you might want to scan for viruses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
Thank you all for your help. appriciate that :) Now, my problem is gone...
I removed the RAM as some of you suggest. however, the problem persist. XP freeze at the welcome screen.

Later, I found out it is the problem with my KVM switch. So, I plug a standard PS/2 keyboard in. Window start normally...switch back to the KVM switch. It's kinda bizarre. Everything is fine now.

Thank you all once again,

With kind regards,
warden :sayyes:

·
Registered
559 Posts
No problem.... did you just recently make that change to the system? If so u should have mentioned it ;)

Glad you got it worked out! Come back if u have any more problems
-blitze

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no meant to bump up this thread :smooch:
Just like to thank you again

To Mod: please feel free to delete this thread. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.