Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please xp wont boot

Following advice from this forum I formatted my hard drive using dban. Worked fine.
Now when I insert the xp pro cd the computer won't read it. I went into cmos and set it up to boot off the cdrom but no mater what I do it tries to boot of the floppy.

I put my Nvidea drive dist in and it recognises that on the cdrom then seems to load some driver and then says "press any key to boot cdrom ....... boot from hd" (those aren't the exact exact words but pretty close) Of course the Nvidea disk is in the drive. swap for XP and the cd spins up but won't read or do anything.

I know when the computer was first set up there was something about loading drivers off the xp pro disk with floppy first which meant using a working computer to read the disk and extract the needed files. I can do this but which files. The person who originally set up the comp is gone.
Any ideas

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
which ide connector on your mobo is the cd-rom drive connected to / primary ide conenctor (blue) or the secondary ide connector (black) ????

do you have the bios set for cd-rom first boot ??????
then hard drive ?????

regards

joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely set to cd first, hd second cd third no floppy at all.

regarding connection - I don't know and won't be able to look for a few hours. If it's wrong should I swap and try again?

Glen

(Thanks for prompt reply)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Human error.
I back up my CD's and lock them away only using the copies.
The copy I was using was a dud.
Swaped for original and away she went.
Angry at myself. Wasted hours!!!!!!!!

Glen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.