Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP Please: MSDOS EXTENDER FAULT

Hi i've just signed up to this forum specifically to see if ne1 out there can solve this problerm for me as it is driving me crazy. I have trawled through a ridculous number of other forums reading ppl in a dimilar position but none of the suggestions have been succesful.

I have recently completly rebuild my pc. I have a new motherboard, ram, graphics card, processor and power supply.

Pentium 4 3.0ghz
Radeon 9800 Pro
Asus P4V8X-X Motherboard
512mb CT6464Z40B Crucial Ram
appart from this there are a number of cards in the PCI slots however i am quite sure these are irrelevent

I have formatted the hard drive countless amounts of time and the tried to install windows onto it. I have tried with both XP and ME as these are the only two i own.

With windows XP the installation simply never starts from memory it gets to installizing setup or soimehting and freezes. So more reacently i have tried ME as just an attempt to get something on there. This starts the installation but at some point a long way before completion it will stop give a number of different error message anbout general protection errors and then return to dos displaying.

Bad fault in msdos extender

I have looked up a n umber of solution adn i can promiose you that the ram is not bad. I have already sent i back once where they could not find a fault but still sent me another, this has the same problems.

I have run memtest86 and havbe interesting results however. It will run tests 1 to 4 fine. On test five it will fail all addresses. Under the good column it will say the execpted value which is allway the previous value plus 1 for example 00000000 then 00000001 and one wards however under the bad column which what my memory has as a value it always displayed 00000000 in every address. After completion of test five it will rpoduce similar results in test six and then stop due to unexpected inturuption.

I am not incredibly hot on this side of computers so solution may need to be quite well explained.

Please help all i wanted was an upgrade and now i haven't had a pc for nearly a month. :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi Gleedy, welcome to TSF

Try this...
Create a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com
Reboot with the bootdisk inserted, then fdisk to remove all hard drive partitions. Reboot with the bootdisk again and type fdisk c: /mbr to create a new master boot record.

Reboot, fdisk to create new partition/s, set the active partition, and format.

You should now be able to install Windows. Post back to let us know if this works.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Gleedy said:
Hi i've just signed up to this forum specifically to see if ne1 out there can solve this problerm for me as it is driving me crazy. I have trawled through a ridculous number of other forums reading ppl in a dimilar position but none of the suggestions have been succesful.

I have recently completly rebuild my pc. I have a new motherboard, ram, graphics card, processor and power supply.

Pentium 4 3.0ghz
Radeon 9800 Pro
Asus P4V8X-X Motherboard
appart from this there are a number of cards in the PCI slots however i am quite sure these are irrelevent

I have formatted the hard drive countless amounts of time and the tried to install windows onto it. I have tried with both XP and ME as these are the only two i own.

With windows XP the installation simply never starts from memory it gets to installizing setup or soimehting and freezes. So more reacently i have tried ME as just an attempt to get something on there. This starts the installation but at some point a long way before completion it will stop give a number of different error message anbout general protection errors and then return to dos displaying.

Bad fault in msdos extender

I have looked up a n umber of solution adn i can promiose you that the ram is not bad. I have already sent i back once where they could not find a fault but still sent me another, this has the same problems.

I have run memtest86 and havbe interesting results however. It will run tests 1 to 4 fine. On test five it will fail all addresses. Under the good column it will say the execpted value which is allway the previous value plus 1 for example 00000000 then 00000001 and one wards however under the bad column which what my memory has as a value it always displayed 00000000 in every address. After completion of test five it will rpoduce similar results in test six and then stop due to unexpected inturuption.

I am not incredibly hot on this side of computers so solution may need to be quite well explained.

Please help all i wanted was an upgrade and now i haven't had a pc for nearly a month. :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno

Seems like you've already found the issue. Have you tried a new stick of RAM (or at least a known good)?

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
On the offchance you are having problems with one of the expansion cards, try installing windows with the absolute minimum of extras. Remove all expansion cards, leaving nothing in except a graphics card (as I don't think you have onboard graphics on the MoBo) and try the install then.

Also, it could be the socket on the motherboard for the RAM which is faulty - having no errors on tests 1-4 then the ENTIRE test 5 and 6 failing seems a bit suspect to me. Try using a different slot for the RAM and see if it works then (both the OS install and the Memtest86) - if it does, you should be looking at returning the motherboard and getting a replacement, or at least buying a replacement from somewhere you can return it if it turns out to not be the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the help. I will try these two suggestions and report back.
Just to emphasise one point picked up on by a poster, i have already returned one stick of ram causing these probs and this completely new stick causes the same problem i have also tried both sticks in all three slots, so i dont no if it is posible that all three slots could be faulty through a single fault or if they work individually. :4-dontkno
like i said i am not increadably hot on this kind of thing.

Thanx again guys.
Will report back asap. (probs 2moz as i just finished work and its quite l8 ere in UK)

·
retired
1,966 Posts

Pentium 4 3.0ghz
Radeon 9800 Pro
Asus P4V8X-X Motherboard
PCI cards are very relevant, a faulty card can cause all kinds of problems, (also true for their drivers). Remove all cards except video for initiall setup on a new system. Only after the OS is installed and stable should additional peripherals be added. Add in one device at a time to ensure stability continues.
You didn't give the make/model of the PSU so can't tell if it's sufficient for this pc and is not the problem.
With windows XP the installation simply never starts from memory it gets to installizing setup or soimehting and freezes. So more reacently i have tried ME as just an attempt to get something on there. This starts the installation but at some point a long way before completion it will stop give a number of different error message anbout general protection errors and then return to dos displaying. Bad fault in msdos extender
The most common reasons for these issues are: DRAM errors; BIOS settings are incorrect; PSU undersized/or faulty. Also check data/power connectors are secure and matched (ie: 80-conductor IDE data cable). Check ram slots not cracked or pins skewed.
I have run memtest86 and have interesting results however. It will run tests 1 to 4 fine. On test five it will fail all addresses. Under the good column it will say the execpted value which is allway the previous value plus 1 for example 00000000 then 00000001 and one wards however under the bad column which what my memory has as a value it always displayed 00000000 in every address. After completion of test five it will rpoduce similar results in test six and then stop due to unexpected inturuption.
The ram is passing basic tests but fails the stress test. I would suspect BIOS settings and PSU at this point.

You should install the most current BIOS update before installing an OS.
P4V8X-X BIOS 1008 Description: Support new CPUs 2004/08/20 update
If the POST display a number less than 1008 then you do not have the most recent BIOS.

For the ASUS P4V8X-X with Windows XP, check the following BIOS settings.
Write down current values before changing any settings.

Advanced
JumperFree Configuration
CPU Compatible mode: enabled
DDR Reference Voltage: 2.6V
(re: CT6464Z40B)

Power
ACPI 2.0 Support: Yes (re: Windows XP)
----------------------------------------------------
Crucial sets it's SPD values for most acceptable use to a broad range of motherboards. You can set these values manually to see if stability improves.

Advanced
ChipSet
NorthBridge
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Disabled
SDRAM Frequency: 400MHz
DRAM CAS# Latency: 3.0T
SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4-Way
SDRAM Burst Length: 8QW

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
koala said:
Hi Gleedy, welcome to TSF

Try this...
Create a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com
Reboot with the bootdisk inserted, then fdisk to remove all hard drive partitions. Reboot with the bootdisk again and type fdisk c: /mbr to create a new master boot record.

Reboot, fdisk to create new partition/s, set the active partition, and format.

You should now be able to install Windows. Post back to let us know if this works.
Removed partition, reset.
During boot through the disk mnessage warnhing me that there is no active partition on c: with various possible causes.
Then wen typing fdisk c: /mbr this error is returned:
Parameter format not correct - C:

I am using a windows ME boot disk if this makes ne difference

C: appears to be the ram drive loaded through the boot disk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stu_computer said:
For the ASUS P4V8X-X with Windows XP, check the following BIOS settings.
Write down current values before changing any settings.

Advanced
JumperFree Configuration
CPU Compatible mode: enabled
DDR Reference Voltage: 2.6V
(re: CT6464Z40B)

Power
ACPI 2.0 Support: Yes (re: Windows XP)
----------------------------------------------------
Crucial sets it's SPD values for most acceptable use to a broad range of motherboards. You can set these values manually to see if stability improves.

Advanced
ChipSet
NorthBridge
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Disabled
SDRAM Frequency: 400MHz
DRAM CAS# Latency: 3.0T
SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4-Way
SDRAM Burst Length: 8QW
Cheers for the help this has solved the problem completely i am now a happy chappie back to a new system.

Thanx for everyone elses attempts but in the end, this guy was the hero. :sayyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok installed windows and was working good. thought i'd seen the end of my probs but then o no this is a computer things cant b solved that easily.

Now the system works fine boots up in to windows. After a completely random amount of time the whole system will freeze and need to be reset.

I have updated the graphics drivers to the most reacent pos.

Occasionally on restart windows will error report and has often refered to it being caused by the graphics card.

I have also found this error somewhere although i now cant remember where from:

ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG

ne help wuld be gd, i'm on the verge of depression here

·
retired
1,966 Posts
The system should have the following installed before the Radeon 9800 drivers are installed...

1. P4v8X-X chipset drivers VIA 4 in 1 driver Package Service v4.49
2. DirectX 9.0c
3. Windows XP Service Pack 2

On the P4v8X-X CD is a utility called ASUS PC Probe that can be used to monitor conditions.

Also check the following (Start / Run / type compmgmt.msc and press enter)...
-Device Manager for warnings, and check video adapter details.
-Event Viewer-System and Applications for errors
-System Information-Components-Problem Devices for errors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, I am new here and in fact this is my first post here. I consider myself experienced on computers but this is one of the few problems which I'm not able to solve. The problem is very similar to the one Gleedy had.

So let me give a brief explanation of my problem:

Since the first time that I got this PC (bought the MB & CPU 2nd hand), I always had this problem. The computer used to crash and reboot all of a sudden (with no clue as to what caused it) when doing nothing special on my PC. After a while I suspected the RAM and when I ran memtest86+ it failed test 5. The RAM chip was a 512 MB DDR 400 at the time. I tried changing slots but the problem remained. Then I bought a brand new 1GB DDR PC3200 RAM chip from ebay, to replace the old "damaged" 512MB chip, but when I plugged it in, the problem got no better.

I entered the BIOS setup and had a look at the current configuration, and I've enable the CPU compatibility mode. In doing so, I did solve the RAM problem, but caused another 2 problems. One of them is (which I won't really bother if it's not solved) that the CPU is now underclocked by 300MHz (2.7GHz instead of 3.00GHz). I guess it's normal as the CPU Compatible mode feature reduces timings by 10% which is exactly what happened. Another problem (very serious in my opinion), is that when I use the USB2.0 interface, the data transferred gets corrupted. Such a thing did not happen before I enabled the CPU compatibility mode. The only way I can use my Flash drive, Digital camera, etc is through a USB1.1 hub which I connected inside a USB2.0 port to downgrade the interface. USB1.1 works fine but it's way too slow for me. I use my flash drive a lot, and I use it with big files. I have a lot of software stored on my flash drive which amount up to 900MB. I can't afford waiting all this time.

I tried both upgrading my BIOS version to a beta one and downgrading it to older versions. In both cases, it created more problems and solved none, so I'm now back to what I had originally (i.e. 1008 - which is the latest official BIOS released in 2004).

I tried the settings mentioned previously in this thread by Stu_Computer but it's useless. I also installed the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers and still haven't solved anything. I currently have CPU compatibility mode enabled but the USB is useless. I also tried using an add-on USB2.0 PCI card but the problem remained on it as well. Another thing, it's not an OS problem, as I tried installing different OSes (WIN2000, XP, Vista; LINUX SimplyMepis) and the problem remained on all of them.

My specifications:
-ASUSTeK P4V8X-X
-Intel Pentium 4 ("Prescott") 3.00GHz with HT
-1GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM
-Gainward NVIDIA GeForce 6200
-160GB ATA/IDE HDD

I would really appreciate it if someone can come out with a solution to this problem, as I'm still a student (will be doing my 'O' Levels a.k.a GCSEs this year) and I can't afford to buy a new MB just for this.

Thanks in advance,
ferrarix.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi ferrarix

[forum note: it's best when experiencing an issue similar to someone else's, to open your own new thread, and simply copy & paste a link to the previous thread into yours, if you wish techs to see the previous thread. Many members receive email alerts when answers to their questions appear in their threads -- it's best only to receive relevant email.]

That said, on to your situation:

You have bought a used MB that is a picky board even when fresh from the factory - and the trouble you are experiencing is very likely tied to the board. If you bought the board with any guarantee, return it. If you bought it with no guarantees - well, lesson learned.

If you want to try to get a possibly faulty board to nudge along with the fewest problems =
1) You'll need to check if your power supply is a good one. One of the problems of faulty motherboards is poor power regulation. [Make sure the 4pin 12v power connector isn't loose, also]
2) Disable HyperThreading in the Bios
3) Do not overclock. (Turn off the Asus "AI" - all overclocking must be turned off = change the setting to "Manual" & set the timings to exact standards for your cpu. Leave the voltages set to "Auto".
4) Do not use CPU Compatibility Mode (this is for overclocking situations only)
5) Disable Spread Spectrum in the Bios (to improve stability)
6) Run the PC2700 module "By SPD" (in case you left the previous setting at 400mhz). Have only the one module installed (Remove the 512mb PC3200, if still installed)
7) Make sure the USB Power jumpers on the motherboard are set to the default setting for USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, USBPW78 -- they need to be on the +5V setting, rather than the +5VSB setting. The +5V is a more conservative setting & works with more equipment.
8) Enable 32-bit Transfers (in the Main/IDE Bios menus)
9) In the USB Configuration Bios menu, make sure that USB 2.0 is "Enabled".
10) Set the PCI PnP menu items to their default settings.
11) The ACPI 2.0 setting should be set to Yes.
12) The ACPI APIC setting should be set to Enabled for WinXP or newer.
13) Check the remainder of your Bios settings with your manual --- http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4v8x-x/e1494_p4v8x-x.pdf
14) For advanced help with Bios settings, see Adrian's Bios Optimization Guide --- http://www.techarp.com/freebog.aspx

This might help -- but not if either the motherboard or the power supply aren't 100% OK.

Best of luck!
. . . Gary

[P.S. ... by the way, Win9x is not compatible with your hardware - you need Win2k with the latest Sevice Pack or higher]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks OldGrayGary. In fact I have also opened a new thread here.

I will check these out later. Another thing, when I have USB compatibility mode set to OFF the USB2.0 works fine but I get the RAM failure problem. The OSes that I used are Windows 2000,XP,Vista Ultimate and Linux SimplyMepis (LiveCD).

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
I just saw your new thread - looks good. I'll head over there & add a note. Thanks for the heads up.

I figure I'll paste my earlier reply over there, so all the info can be in one place.
. . . Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.