Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hard drives

I have a dell comp that is not working can i use the hard drive out of it in my new comp so i don't have to get an operating system for my new comp?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Probably not, unless both computers have the exact same hardware. You see, if you used your old computer's hard drive, it would think it was running on that old computer, and it's not, so it wouldn't work because it was configured to run with the hardware on that computer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
rugbyboy2005 said:
I have a dell comp that is not working can i use the hard drive out of it in my new comp so i don't have to get an operating system for my new comp?
In this case you would HAVE to reformat the drive. Install the new hard drive and use the recovery disks that may/may not have come with your Dell. Either way, you'll have to reinstall windows. IF the OS was installed on a different chipset, chances are you will BSOD.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Actually, you may be able to. Windows will recognize new hardwire and install new drivers where needed. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doen't. You have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
hwm54112 said:
Actually, you may be able to. Windows will recognize new hardwire and install new drivers where needed. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doen't. You have nothing to lose.
I do this occasionally with my two systems. I crashed :sad: my HDD in my 3.4 so I made a copy With Diskwizard from the wife's system. Went in to Hardware manager and update the drives for the different hardware, or you can disable the old hardware and reboot and windows will find the new hardware and reinstall using you new drivers you provide. You might find some weird things like on mine both machines have NVIDIA video cards hers is an MSI mine is a EVGA, properties shows mine as an MSI otherwise all the info for mine is correct. :grin:
EDIT: I keep all my updated drivers on my file server.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.