Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard drive changing name, size in BIOS, etc.

My computer has recently developed a strange problem. I was doing some computer work for a relative, and part of it involved backing up the contents of her old hard drive onto DVD for her new computer. After unplugging the power to the computer, I unplugged one of my two IDE drives and plugged her old hard drive in. I was able to back it up through my computer on DVD successfully.

When I plugged my old hard drive back in (40GB Maxtor) strange things began to happen. During bootup, my computer would incorrectly report the name of the hard drive as a Maytor followed by garbage, and its size would change from 40GB to 48GB. I was unable to boot from it. After some fiddling I managed to get it to work but it slowly became corrupt; files began to randomly disappear and OLE wouldn't work in Windows so I couldn't view pictures or use the Internet. I assumed it was a problem with the hard drive failing.

I bought a new one (40GB Maxtor) but the same problem results. From the two drives that are plugged into the same ATA channel, the Master hard drive is read by the BIOS incorrectly, but the Slave is okay. It doesn't matter whether they are set to Cable Select, or to Master/Slave through jumpers. The Master hard drive's size is always incorrect and the name is garbled (Magtor or Maytor, instead of Maxtor, and a garbled serial number followed by exclamation marks). When they're swapped, visa versa.

I have tried Maxtor's PowerMax software, and when I run it and try to scan the hard drive set to Master, it tells me to contact Maxtor tech support, but there isn't a problem with the drive. When I plug the drive back into the Slave position it works fine.

Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Well, at least I can say I am not sure. What I would do in this order:

Enter the BIOS setup menu and set the Bios to the default setting and see if this helps. Don't forget to save before you exit. Try this before doing anything else because there may be a change that may have been made in the shut down.

If not, then try the following:

First of all, set the hard drive as master on the END of the ribbon cable, and the slave as slave on the middle connector of the ribbon cable.

Boot up and make sure the BIOS is set to AUTO in the BIOS setup menu.

Next, shut down and clear CMOS and see if that helps when you boot back up.

Post back and let us know how it is going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Setting the BIOS to the default settings didn't work.

I set the bootup hard drive to Master and the other hard drive to Slave by jumpers (which are both on the primary channel). I then set the BIOS to auto-detect for all hard drives. Still nothing. Master comes up as Not Installed.

Then I cleared the CMOS with the jumper on the mainboard. Started the computer up, reconfigured the BIOS, rebooted. When I booted up, same problem.

Primary Master: Not Installed (Where I have my Maxtor 40GB bootup hard drive hooked up)
Primare Slave: Maxtor 120GB (My storage hard drive, not my bootup hard drive)
Secondary Master: DVD-RAM
Secondary Slave: CD-ROM

I was playing around with the wiring and I found I could hook up a hard drive to primary master and nothing to primary slave and i could boot up fine.

Whenever the two hard drives are hooked up to the same channel it refuses to work. This is wierd because for 3 years that's how it's been, two hard drives on primary master/slave. All of a sudden... its broken.

T

·
0 Posts
The question is why did your relatives pc get to a state that you had to recover data to a dvd ? If her pc went up, more then likely when you connected up her HD to yours, you got what her pc had...a virus, trojan , spyware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tractorboy2, the reason was that she had a really old machine, a vintage 90s HP that needed to be junked. Her PC had no problems, just was really outdated and slow, and I didn't want to risk losing her data in the process of moving her old hard drive around into a new computer. I plugged it into my computer to back it up onto DVD, which I did successfully. When I replugged my old hard drive back in, things began to act up.

I don't see how that could cause such a major problem, as I've swapped many hard drives in my machine to do repairs to computers with no problems at all. Perhaps I swapped one too many and ended up damaging the controller on the mainboard?

Thanks for your prompt responses so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oldmn, that's me jumping to expensive conclusions. I have tried your suggested idea, and swapped the cables that the CD drives and hard drives are using. Now when I boot up the hard drives work great, but my DVD-RAM drive's name is garbled.

Guess I should take a run down to the computer store and buy some new ribbon cables.

Thank you all for your help, for now the problem appears to be solved!

·
Registered
2 Posts
you know whats funny... i have the same problem i have a maxtor 120 gig and all of a sudden its reading as a "LAHTIR" *** is that? everytime i reboot the hard disk name changes..... i dont get this thing... all of a sudden why is this BS happening?

·
Registered
1 Posts
:4-dontkno

The Maxtor in my Linux machine does that too.. its a 15GB drive and it only does that when I have my 80GB Western Digital as a master. it would normally post as a Maxtor 91536U6 but it boots up like MAXTOR 91536 6```````````` and it shows up in the device manager as a8t/r 91536 6

weird.. also the XP disk manager (I have XP Pro on the Western Digital) says my maxtor is a 1613GB drive (that would be nice if that were true)

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: [resolved?] Hard drive changing name, size in BIOS, etc.

This same issue just happened to my DVD-RW. In the BIOS, it's supposed to read "LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160" but now it says "LITE-OL DVDRU QHU-160". The DVD drive is setup as the secondary master. All the other drives seem fine, but if this happens to one of the HDs I'm screwed! Of course, Windows now doesn't recognize the drive and I'm hesitant to buy a new one until I find out what's causing this.

I haven't tried changing ribbon cables or anything. Can a faulty cable really cause this kind of problem? Or is there something else that could be the culprit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this woudl be a pain in the butt, but I should be able to change all references to that drive in the registry to what it says now. The problem is that, in the BIOS manager, I can only see part of the device's name. Is there a way to see the whole name. In the registry, it's listed as "LITE-ON_DVDRW_SHW-160P6S________________PS0C____", but in the BIOS manager I can only read up to "160". Is there a way to find out what the rest of it reads?

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Yes a cable problem can cause this, it's probably easier to repace the cable than edit the registry... and the name will probably change again next time you reboot :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO POST MY COMPUTER ISSUE BUT I GOT TO THIS THREAD AND HERE GOES:
Considering the 1st post was in nov. 2005 and now 2008, my pc is among the victims (?)!! i hope to read any news from zoso990,etal with how their rigs are doing.

after i reformatted my Maxtor HD with WinXP SP2 a week ago, i decided to trim down from the usual games (down to only Call of DUty 2) and softwares (flash player plugin, Java runtime environment 6, shockwave flash, Nero, Skype, Firefox v3.04, YM version ymsgr8us, ASquaredFree antivirus) i download, except for that MILES 32 Sound Tools which i downloaded online after an earlier post-reformat game of Call of Duty popped up a "Miles sound system required" dialog. i downloaded it until i realizesd that my no-audio problem was resolved by using the mobo install cd with the RealTek AC97 driver)! anyway, i was about to play my fav music and Miles sound system popped up in the open context menu (right_click option) and instead of choosing Media Player i clicked "Miles sound" 'cos i thought, Hey let's try how this Miles interface looks, after all, it's with Call of Duty 2" instead.

SYMPTOMS: Right after i clicked that Miles sound option, my pc auto-restarted and after several attempts but disk read error POST msgs, i decided to reformat. (yes this week and what short period since last week's reformat). during the reformat when i installed WInXP it was weird when i was asked to choose where to install XP 'cso the unpartitioned disk space changed values during the 1st and 2nd attempt: and ranged from 50+ to 60+GB which were actually higher than the 40Gb HD! and my reinstallation attempt happened thrice due to Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED;partmgr.sys& setupdd.sys error)
Then i gave up reinstalling XP after the 3rd attempt which "successfully" loaded it until i got stuck again in the POST & BIOS SETTING IDENTIFYING MY MAXTOR HD AS Maytor, Maitor,then Eaqtgr and Eaatgr-- and with those exclamation marks!! and a unique POST beep which sounded more like a midi/mono-ringtone!!! i never got to see the windows i installed, only up to the BIOS and Pre-POST screens.

MY SPECS are (a bit outdated since i bought it in 2002): Pentium 4/Prescott 2.4GHz, P4GE-MX mobo, BIOS Phoenix Award v.6.0PG, 768Gb ram (512+256 sticks), Maxtor 40Gb as primary slave, DVD writer/Liteon connected as secondary slave.

ADDITIONAL SETUP: my Maxtor was assigned to Primary slave and is it correct for me to click HDD-0 for it in BIOS Boot Device order??DVD was secondary slave and as CD-ROM device in boot order. i didn't include the floppy disk in the boot order even though it is installed. my Maxtor is attached to a brand new ribbon cable (from the DVD/Liteon which i recently bought; its original ribbon cable was connected to the DVD instead)

My usual suspects for this: RAM, virus hiding in Miles sound tools, BIOS update (but i'm afraid to resort to it 'cso i don't have UPS)?

p.s. i got tired referring to our techie whenever my comp informs me with "errors" 'cos he just reformats the hard drive again, and even once "short-circuited" the thing (it was resolved as a video card loose connection) and i'm tired of carrying the whole rig due to inconvenient proximity.

HELP!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Please, all of you who have separate problems, the hardware team would be most happy to help any of you, but you need to post your own thread. It is just impossible to work on three or four issues in a thread that the thread starter says has already been solved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.