Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Erase HD data/reformat

Hi all,
I have replaced the 40GB HD on my system with a new 120GB drive. I would like to completely erase the data on the 40GB drive and give it to a friend. The drive contains Windows XP and personal data, etc. The drive is out of the machine. I have two working computers. One is a P4 @ 3.06GHz w/WinXP, the other is an older AMD [email protected] w/ Win 98. How would you suggest I connect this 40GB drive to reformat to FAT32? Reformatting will pretty much erase all data, correct? Again, thanks for the help and input.

P

·
0 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF,

The format you ll do with windows should amke it. But still after that it is possible to recover some data. If you do a Low Level Format ( LLF ) you would erase everything for good and those would not be recovarable. For info on LLF please refer to this thread. After downloading the LLF utility form the manufacturers website put it on a floppy disk ( preferably ) and install your 40G HD and boot from the floppy drive and proceed with the LLF.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK,Scott,but how will I connect this hard drive to do that? That is the main thrust of this post. In other words, could I connect it as a slave in the AMD machine and do the LLF? Or would I need to slave it on the XP machine? How would I do this. Thanks for the help and input. :4-dontkno

P

·
0 Posts
No problem. No do not slave it. Install it by itself. Preferably primary master. And boot from the floppy with the utility disk in it. ( make sure you have the right boot squence in the bios )

Regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.