Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can I get dial-up to work with DSL?

Today, I installed Verizon DSL for use with my laptop. Everything went smoothly, and DSL works fine. However, I'm no longer able to use dial-up. We want to keep dial-up as a backup, and in case we end up deciding Verizon DSL isn't for us. When installing DSL, the program told me it would have to disable the dial-up connection, but I thought that would just be temporary. Can you not use dial-up and DSL on the same PC?

Anyway, here are various specs and info you might need to help me:

Laptop: Compal 56 (Pentium M-based) 2.0GHz running WinXP Home.
Dial-Up Modem: 56K v.92 Agere Systems AC'97 (Not a hardware modem)
Dial-Up ISP: AT&T WorldNet Service; software version 8. Under "Internet Options" in Control Panel, AT&T is set as my default dial-up connection, and it's configured as: "always dial my default connection."
DSL Provider: Verizon
DSL Modem: Westell VersaLink Model 327W (This has an internal wireless router, but I'm not using wireless at the moment. I'm new to all of this and am just trying to get the basics up and running first.)

Also, before I tried to use dial-up, I made sure the DSL cable was unplugged from my laptop and the DSL modem was turned off.

I'm wondering if perhaps I should have uninstalled my AT&T software prior to installing DSL and then reinstalled AT&T after the DSL software?

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. I realized it made no sense that I couldn't use my dial-up modem and a DSL modem on the same PC. So, I figured, the error must be mine. Indeed, I had set up one of the DSL filters incorrectly. So, now, everything is working just peachy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.