Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DESKTOP ERRORS/dtect16.exe & WIN.INI involved

Hi Gang,
I'm back :4-wavey: and another year older too! :beerchug: I'm not so sure about the wiser part they say comes with each birthday! :winkgrin: Hope ya'll are all doing great!

As you guys already know with my visit comes, of course, a problem--error messages I've never seen before. I'm still working on the book and still using Win98SE as my OS. I also DO NOT have the Win98SE disc should your answer require it. I researched this on Microsoft's site but came up empty handed as usual. I know if I want this fixed, this is where I come to get my answers--ya'll are batting 1000% too--again as usual!! :pray:

This afternoon, I downloaded AOL's AIM program. After uninstalling from the control panel, I also ran the "find" function. Deleting the files from here is where I believe I really messed up big time! I swear to you any time I do anything pertaining to AOL something always happens INLCUDING PLUCKING MY LAST NERVE! :4-flames: Anyway, the recycle bin was emptied, my system was rebooted and as the desktop loaded, the Windows error messages appeared for the first time. I've listed below, verbatim, the two messages for you.

:win: dtect16.exe
Cannot find the file "dtect16.exe" (or one of its components) Make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available.

:win: Desktop
Could not load or run "dtect16.exe" specified in the WIN.INI file. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the WIN.INI file.

I swear I really do pay close attention when I'm deleting files from the "find" function in Win98SE. Couldn't tell that by the errors I'm getting now though, right? :3crying:

Please tell me I haven't messed up so bad ya'll can't fix it for me. I know ya'll can fix anything--including this--I'm keepin' the faith! :scared: As always, thanks a million for your help. :heartlove

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome Back :smile:

Click Start>Run and type in msconfig
Click the Startup tab and uncheck the box beside dtect16.exe

Next click Start>Run and type in regedit
Navigate to this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder. You'll find a subkey for this disabled item. Delete that key

Please back up your Registry before editing, see my sig for instructions

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a Plan to Me, She Said with Hands Shaking on the keyboard!!

Thank you so much GeekGirl for answering my request. :grin: I'm a little, ok, a lot nervous about doing anything that pertains to my registry. :sayno: Do you know if there is any other way to rid my computer of its Desktop errors without messing with the registry? I'd really appreciate it Girl. Thanks so much for understanding. If not, I'll take a whack at it; I'm just hoping there's another way.

Thanks again so very much for your help!

PS I love your avatar! :grin:

·
15,478 Posts
I havent found any other way to rid of it. You can try just taking it out of startup but if its still in the registry to run at startup that may not work you will need to do both.

1.Click Start>Run and type in msconfig
Click the Startup tab and uncheck the box beside dtect16.exe

2.Next click Start>Run and type in regedit
Navigate to this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder. You'll find a subkey for this disabled item. Delete that key

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to go for it today!

TJ, its high time I got over this fear of my registry. :sayyes: I know its an area that only advanced members of tech support should mess with like yourself. Having said that, you've given me step.by.step instructions--so here we go!! :grin: Again, thanks :heartlove for everything and I'll keep you posted as to how it goes!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Registry Backup Question

TJ, I'm posting this here and I apologize for not having put it all together in one message. I got "side tracked" here with my rottie and didn't know about the 30 minute time limit when editing.

One thing I did notice TJ in your signature area was a link on "how to backup your registry." Would you mind answering 1 more question for me about the registry before I attempt to correct these error messages?

Because this system is so old--1998 Dell that has only 1 sporatically working (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't) removeable media--an a: drive using 3 1/2" floppies--is there a way to backup only the small portion that applies to the desktop errors or must I backup everything in my registry? I've never backuped files ever! :SHOCKED:

As always thank you for your patience and understanding.

·
15,478 Posts
You can back up a specific key before changing it. There is some risk in doing this. You must know exactly which key to back up. The link in my registry gives very good instructions on how to backup a single registry key.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a done deal now!

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT! and I didn't mess anything up in the process either! The Redhead from Richmond now has dancing feet! dancing feet! dancing feet! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! -- Now would you like for me to tell you how I REALLY feel? :heartlove :smooch: :sayyes: Again thanks for all the patience and instruction! Man this feels good! Take care girl!

·
15,478 Posts
Someones a happy camper :grin:

Im happy I could help the Redhead from Richmond with dancing feet :laugh: :laugh:

Take care :sayyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.