Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RESOLVED: Deleting Files/IP addresses

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  nickster_uk 
#1 ·
I installed a program (on a 3 day trial) called Hide My IP 2007. After the end of the trial I unistalled the program, but it left the folder containing a file called proxyfilter.dll.

Any ideas as to what this file is as I can't delete it, and when i use a program to delete it, it disables my connection to the internet.

Also, my ip address is showing as a completely different location to where I am. Is there any way of resetting this to what it should be?

Thanks in advance for all help

#2 ·
Re: Deleting Files/IP addresses

it looks to me as if when you uninstalled it it left some software there which it will not allow you to delet have you tride going on in safe mode as the adminstrator and deleting then ?

#5 ·

There's different settings in the manage add-ons applet....try checking them all to see if it's listed anywhere please:

Add-ons that have been used by internet explorer
Add-ons currently loaded in internet explorer
Add-ons that run without permission

#6 ·

Also, as 90xjoeyx06 suggested, try deleting it in Safe Mode to see if that helps (back up the file first just incase it affects your internet connection when you boot back into normal mode though).

Have you tried rebooting since uninstalling the program?

Also, you could use a program such as Unlocker which will be able to tell you what process is locking the file...that way, we may be able to work out a clean way to remove it??

#9 ·

Rebooting and safe mode doesn't work.

Tried to delete with unlocker before and it disappeared, but that's when the internet connection was lost.

Have run unlocker again, and it looks like the processes involved with the file, are basically everything - including Internet explorer and unlocker itself

#10 ·

Hi neilsinc,

Are you currently using a different computer to connect to the internet? If so, then would you be able to copy these small files using a removable storage device (usb key, cd-r, etc) ?

Please download the following files:
1. HijackThis.
2. Deckard's System Scanner (DSS)

Transfer the two files via removable storage to the computer with the connectivity issues.

Then continue with these set of instructions:

1. Copy hijackthis_sfx.exe to your Desktop. Double-click on the file and click on the "Unzip" button to install. It will by default install to the directory - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\

2. Copy dss.exe to your Desktop. Note: You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges.
  1. Close all applications and windows.
  2. Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
  3. When the scan is complete, two text files will open - main.txt <- this one will be maximized and extra.txt <-this one will be minimized
  4. Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of main.txt in your thread in the HijackThis Log Help Forum.
  5. Please attach extra.txt to your post.
To attach a file to a new post, simply
  1. Click the[Manage Attachments] button under Additional Options > Attach Files on the post composition page, and
  2. copy and paste the following into the "Upload File from your Computer" box:
    C:\Deckard\System Scanner\extra.txt
  3. Click Upload.
What DSS will do:
  • create a new System Restore point in Windows XP and Vista.
  • clean your Temporary Files, Downloaded Program Files, and Internet Cache Files, and also empty the Recycle Bin on all drives.
  • check some important areas of your system and produce a report for your analyst to review. DSS automatically runs HijackThis for you, but it will also install and place a shortcut to HijackThis on your desktop if you do not already have HijackThis installed.

Thank you

#11 · (Edited)

For those interested in the outcome of this....

forhockey researched, and correctly surmised that the file in question was in the LSP stack, and by simply deleting it, the internet connection was breaking.

The file needed to be safely removed from the stack first using a specialized tool...though it still took another specialized tool to delete it afterward.

This thread would seem to be resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.