Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If this is right place for Optical drives....not removable, internal....then I am in right place.

Just now, my new Lightscribe-enabled Samsung from Newegg arrived. in bubble paper, always makes me nervous. But also with software.

It has jumpers.....but no LEGEND. OMG, oK? Nevah saw a drive without jumper LEGEND. The tic tac now set on right most pins.....there R two more sets to the left. This is when looking at business end of drive with Power pins on the right.

Anybody know wut this means? Shall I open Opti tower and C if it functions after insalling it as it arrived with tic tac as per above?

Will first try Samgung site....an C if they have LEGENDS. No wonder it was no money, OK? I guess the good ones....have LEGENDS.

Jill

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carsey:

There isn't. Am golng to upload after scanning....the only printed label on the thing....and that is wut I meant by Legend.....missing.

Hold on and thank U, Casey!!!!!! Santa thinks I was greedy 4 wanting LIghtscribe. My mother just said.

J.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neva scanned a drive before, oK?

I am uploading wut I just scanned. Remember, this is the only paper thingy on the drive....NO LEGEND AT OR ABOVE OR NEAR THE BUSINESS END.

Is my problem, OK?

Hold on.....OK uploaded. I think I should maybe just try to install it with the jumper where it was when it arrived. Or not.

J.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O!!! Really???? Bless U! CS is a huge company; they make everything...drive, digital cameras, Baby Phat jeans.....EVERYTHING.

Bless U; bless the UK, Bless poor Mr. Blair who is little confused, while I am getting less so. Now let me go look and do.

I am so grateful, thanks!!!!
Jilly

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
oK wait....forgive me, I still do not C it, the jumper legend!!!!! Wut circle????
J.

O wait!!! I C them!!!!!!!! So sorry....they r like embossed!!!!!

I already hate this drive, OK?
Luv, Jilly

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cross post....U
R a genius.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
No problem. I wish you a sucessfull installation.

Remember if you are having more than 1 drive on a cable then you need to set the FIRST BOOT DRIVE to master and then the second one to slave. This way, the drive will look for boot records on the master instead of the slave.

Once again, no problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gg...yes, I know, I thought he was asking about the company.

Now need to shut this Opti down and open its tummy and mounts no mney drive with subtle hieroglypics from ancient Egypt.....but girl, I will now be able 2 BURN LABELS!!!!! Maybe.

thaks,
Jilly

Jilly

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

My friend Carsey is on to something. Look at what I found:

If you look at the top of the drive toward the back edge theres markings that are almost invisible ... you have to play with the reflection of light off the back to read it ... but it does label the back of the drive ...
I will give you the labels here tho and make it easier for you ...

You have the digital two pin
DO, G

then the audio four pin
R,G,G,L

Then the three pairs of pins
(from left to right)
CS, SL, Master

IDE interface

then power

Addendum: While I was out searching, I got beat. Darn, those others on here are good, or even better than that. Anyhow, way it goes.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Tumble; I am at Dinos' where R UUUU?

Wow....this is deep, I am printing it out.....then OPENING CLAM TOWER, and switching out optical drives. Who could replace a Sony with this thing and expect anthying good?

I. Is who.....I just want this lable burning thingy I didn't know wut it was until 3 days ago, oK?

Thanks so much!

Jilly

OK wait....no, first, the IDE cable 2 the optical drive in this Opti has only ONE DISTAL STATION. Noloor, is there any option for a second IDE optical on the mobo. All the plugs are filled with plugs. I am switching the drive out. Not keeping both. I am replcaing the gorgeous, heavy well made, RW one Dell provided at the factory.... with this sleazy Egyptian one, OK? Because it makes ETCHEDm Lightscribe LABELS, Ok?

So, given that, it shold be set 2 master, right?

Jilly

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Jill, look at the drive you took out and see what setting (cs-sl-ma)it is on. Then, set this one the same way and put it on the same place on the ribbon cable. That should get it without changing things around.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OMG....you have reached your acceptable/tolerable level of smart, approaching knocking me out,oK?

Genius is seeing the obvious...wiht New eyes...U just did MARCEL!!!!!

Have yet to have chance 2 shut tis system down and open tower; will now do this and boot lappy and log on from Alien.

Anyhow, forgot to order the pankake discs....they R now on their way, the good ones....$.50 each at Newegg...almost, but it is Christmas, OK?

Also wasted time loading Nero from Alienware discs....cause the CD accompanyng the Egyptian Samsung.....has it all. I thought it wouldn't cause it is OEM.
Finally.....I NOW GET....THAT THEY ETCHED THE JUMPER SETTINGS ONTO THE DRIVE.....with another Lightscribe-enabled drive!!!!!! Clever there in the Phillipines, right?

I did Not C it because I was looking 4 the usual....this site is beyond. Not Beyonce....except, Jay-Z bought huh...OMG ,a milion dollar RollsRoyce for her birthday. Hand 2 heaven. And not a moment 2 soon, poor girl.

Obscene.

Let me go do this!!!!

Luv, Jilly

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not Yet

Too much stuff going on in my apartment, have not yet had a chance to do anything more drive installation related.....but did just find this among the reviews 4 this drive on Newegg. I am going 2 ignore.

Ownership:1 week to 1 month
12/16/2006 8:14:59 AM Love it! - Excellent Burner

Pros: I bought it for my Dell Dimension 4700 computer that's 1 1/2 years old to replace my DVD-Rom drive (2nd bay is CD-RW). It's very quite when burning discs(hardly know its on). Easy installation. Was up and running in 10-15 minutes. Nice that it has auto-update firmware software that you can download and install from Samsung's ODD Support site. No problems at all reading/writing DVD or CD media. Fast burning. Has Lightscribe, but haven't used it yet. NewEgg has best price around for this drive. I'd highly recommend this drive!

Cons: This is OEM. So no fancy packaging. Comes with screws and installation CD. Other than that no complaints.

Other Thoughts: At first, I was a little apprehensive about inexpensive the price but this burner works great! Read-up about this product before I bought it, based on reviews and comparison info. If you own a Dell be sure to set the jumper setting to CS (cable select), not Master or Slave, see Dell support site for instructions for your model. Go to Lightscribe's website to download free disc burning software, updates and other programs.

Tech Level:somewhat high
Ownership:1 month to 1 year
12/15/2006 5:05:46 PM Works great, you might need to edit a registry value to enable Lightscribe.

Pros: Burns quick, love the laserscribe. Ive even used CompUS* disks & still not one bad disk yet. (50 or so burns so far.)

Cons: Something you won't google much info on is if your laserscribe stops working. When making a label in any LS program it would show my LS drive for a moment, then it disappeared and showed, "No Drive Detected" where my LS burner should be. For those having this prob, you need 2 things. 1. You need to DL the LightScribe driver from HP. 2. Google the exact phrase you get in the field where you LS drive should be. I believe it was "Drive Not Detected". And you may want to + registry. That should set you onto the right path to enabeling it. basically a value has to change from 1 to 0... or vise versa.. Good luck!

Other Thoughts: Love the drive, everything works great now.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more....If we look at they etched jumper settings NOW THAT GENIUS GUY FOUND THEM.....there is only one re IDE interface....and that is where the tic tac was set at the factory....by Imedla Marcos.

She did it with the heel of a Jimmy Choo. From the grave.

J.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Not to be nit-picker or literal....if anything I am instinctually metaphoric and free-associative...BUT WHY IS THIS A REMOVABLE DRIVE?

I mean those are all ovah the place for big money, the external opticals....but this is a fixed, internal drive, no?

So GG....sure you got the JUMPER SETTING right?

Jilly

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.