Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Config corrupt to blank screen

Okay. My mom was checking e-mail, left the room and when she came back it said that the config/system file was damaged or corrupt. :dead: I checked the microsoft knowledge base and I got it to go to the windows pro loading screen (it didnt do this when i got the error), i did all four steps that they said to . :sad: Then it froze, it still shows the loading screen but the bar freezes and sits. :sayno:

Does anyone have an idea of what to do?
:4-dontkno
AMD 3200 socket 754
Dfi Mobo
pqi turbo ram 2 x 512MB 400mhz

Windows XP SP2

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi kvash,

another thing you can do is to perform a chkdsk /r on the hdd. bootup with your windows xp cd and choose repair once you get to the main console. then the computer will ask for an admin password but simply hit enter if you dont have none.

then on C: type in "chkdsk /r" without the "" and make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /r. also you can try peforming a "fixboot" which fixes the master boot record. after the chkdsk process is complete, type in "fixboot". it should only take a second for fixboot process to finish and after its done, restart the computer and boot into windows like normal.

then see if the problem goes away and you are able to boot to the desktop. good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ dai -- that was the first thing i tried and it didnt work :sad:
@ keymaker -- ill try that tonight, my mom wants a raid array!! :tongue:
thanks soo much ill post more info on the situation

THANK YOU

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried everything. i managed to use a live distro of linux to backup my files. did a fresh install (no quick reformat) i got drivers installed and had to reboot. gets to the windows loading screen with the blue loading bar, then restarts. i tried all options and none work. safe mode freezes on mup.sys.

Would an entire hard drive replace be okay? the current drive is about 4 years old.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
i don't know much about raid,but i think you need matching drives,and would think setting up on old drives a bit on the risky side

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I think you ruled out a software issue. Run a [url="http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp#top?]Windows Memory Diagnostic Test [/url]

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

Also you may want to run a hard drive diagnositc test. Obtain the software from HERE. Locate your correct manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we went ahead and bought a new hdd (moms orders). it has been working great so far. Wish me luck. Thank all of you sooo much for the help. :heartlove

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.