Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Computer freezing during start up

I have a Dell PC and when I just went to start it up, it constantly freezes. The point it freezes at is right when it starts up and has Dell in big letters with a bar that fills up before going to the next screen. The bar will usually be almost full when it freezes, but sometimes will stop at different points. It freezes before I can access bios.

I tried unplugging it and connecting the power cord to a different outlet, but still freezing at the same point.

It worked perfectly for a long time and even this morning worked. I've tried starting it a few times with a few minutes apart and the only thing that changes is the progress the bar makes. The bar doesn't go further each time either, it may go up or down from the previous time.

[edit]
I have a bit of an update. Trying the computer again caused a error message to popup before it got to the Dell screen. The error said it failed at checkpoint USBf. It wouldn't go past that point

After seeing that I decided to disconnect the USB items that were connected through USB and rebooted. The error still came up, but this time it started to boot up like normal after 5-10 seconds.

Does this mean the problem is one of the hardware connected through USB or that there is something wrong with one of the USB slots on the computer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't edit anymore, but my problem is fixed. Turns out that all that needed to be done was to unplug and then replug in the modem's power cable and now it works like normal.

I never expected that to work, but since I was able to find that the problem was somewhere with the modem after testing a bunch of things I decided to do that since my cable company always says to do that first. I would never have thought that the modem could prevent a computer from being able to boot before it could even reach the bios.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.