Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Computer Cannot Load

I woke up this morning to find my computer stuck on a blue screen with an error message. I did nothing out of the ordinary last night, so this was rather strange. I restarted the computer, as that usually solves most problems for me, but I got the same error message again.

Right after Windows XP completes its loading page, a Windows XP screen comes up and says "autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK." Then it switches to a blue screen and says "STOP: c0000135 {unable to Locate Component} This application has failed to start because basesrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." The computer remains on this screen until I turn it off or restart.

I attempted to restart in Safe Mode, but still got the same error.

Please help!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
You can try a repair install
Set the computer to boot from cd first in the BIOS
Place the xp cd in cdrom and reboot
Boot from the xp cd and choose install
Ignore the first repair option and continue with install
When windows finds the previous installation and offers to repair
then do the repair
If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install

How to perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Geekgirl. Can you be a little more specific on the directions though? What does "Set the computer to boot from cd first in the BIOS" mean? How do I do that?

Also, I believe I do have SP2. How do I incorporate this into my disk, like you said I should do?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got your instructions figured out, and that worked great! My computer now functions. Thank you!!!

One more question - what do I do about SP2? I don't know if I had it before, and I used a boot disk without SP2 on it. Should I reinstall it? Or is it total crap and I should avoid it........?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.