Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing boot.ini from Recovery Console?

Hello everyone!

I work at a University Helpdesk, and I'm having serious problems with a student machine. We use Cisco Clean Access to verify student computers are up-to-date with Window Updates and antivirus definitions.

One student computer had a corrupted Window Update. Windows Updates didn't see any available updates for the computer, but Clean Access did. The only option is to remove all the updates, and download them all from Window Updates. The person who removed them, either removed something she shouldn't have, or removed something in the wrong order and kernel32 died.

With the case of two technicians working on the same computer at different times, without telling each other what the other was doing, within MSCONFIG, I set boot.ini to start in safemode. The other technician wasn't aware that I did that, and repaired the Windows install. Now, Windows wants to run a setup, but can't because it's in safe mode.

We can get to the recovery console, but I don't know how to turn off booting to safe mode from there.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks!

Jennifer Riebel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Scott!

I had found that article earlier, but the information at the beginning of the page was a little over my head, and I didn't think to scroll through it until you sent me the link.

We were able to boot (not in safe mode!), the Windows Setup came up, and the student's files are still there.

Thank you very much!!! I have a feeling I'll be poking around this forum a lot!

Jennifer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Changing boot.ini from Recovery Console?

Hello everyone!

I work at a University Helpdesk, and I'm having serious problems with a student machine. We use Cisco Clean Access to verify student computers are up-to-date with Window Updates and antivirus definitions.

One student computer had a corrupted Window Update. Windows Updates didn't see any available updates for the computer, but Clean Access did. The only option is to remove all the updates, and download them all from Window Updates. The person who removed them, either removed something she shouldn't have, or removed something in the wrong order and kernel32 died.

With the case of two technicians working on the same computer at different times, without telling each other what the other was doing, within MSCONFIG, I set boot.ini to start in safemode. The other technician wasn't aware that I did that, and repaired the Windows install. Now, Windows wants to run a setup, but can't because it's in safe mode.

We can get to the recovery console, but I don't know how to turn off booting to safe mode from there.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks!

Jennifer Riebel
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but im completely stuck. I have the same problem as above but i am unable to resolve the issue. Please can someone show me what to do as this problem has been resolved before.

Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.