Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CDR101: Error during restore..help!!!

I need some assistance!

I've tried restoring my system (HP Pavilion xg843, P3, with WIN ME...you can stop laughing now) to its original factory settings using the 3 System Restore CD's which came with the system. Since I've purchased it, I've only added some memory and an NVIDEA video card to the system. By the way, I removed the video card prior to restore so I wouldn't have conflicts.

HOWEVER, during format and restore, which should be easy, I get a hang-up every time during the install of disk #2:

It states "CDR01: Not ready reading drive M".
"Abort, Retry, Fail?"

I get to this point and can't get further in the restore process since it won't continue and goes back to the main screen: "Restore has been aborted".

What the heck is going on here and what can I do to fix it? Thanks in advance!

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums spuchy..................:D

How is your restore package set up? Is there a floppy and one or two CD's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are 2 system restore cd's and 1 application restore cd which came from HP. The boot disk, I downloaded from bootdisk.com for WinME.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly!

I'm wondering if when the HD was reformated it created a new "drive" or partition?

I've read on other boards that similar problems are caused by a hardware issue, but, it's the same CD-R drive that came with the system originally. AND it was functioning properly prior to the attempted system restore.

S

·
0 Posts
If your trying to restore your system from the restore disks you cannot use a regular boot disk. You need to use the disks that came with that machine. And it very well could be drive M with one of these things. The disks you have should be numbered, So just stick the first one in the drive whether it be a floppy or a CD and reboot. Most of these HP machines came with a floppy that you would boot to and it would tell you to insert the restore CD and reboot. But things could have changed. I think I'll check out HP's site.................:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've done that. Booted from the restore CD's only. Actually, I did it first and went over to a boot disk just trying to get some positive response. The only disks (CD's) included with the system at purchase were the 3 CD's I mentioned in my earlier post.

S

·
0 Posts
This document applies to HP Pavilions that came with Microsoft Windows 98 and Me.

Perform the following steps to restore the operating system and software programs to the original settings:

CAUTION: All data that is stored on the hard drive might be lost unless backed up to another form of media, such as CDs, floppies, zip, or another hard drive.

CAUTION: Make certain that any peripherals (such as a printer, a scanner, or SCSI cards) and non-preinstalled internal devices are disconnected from the computer when running a System Recovery.

Close all software programs running in Windows.

Insert the HP Recovery disc one into the CD/CD-RW/DVD drive.

Click Start, click Shut Down, and then click Restart.

Click OK to restart the computer.

At the HP Recovery Welcome screen, press any key on the keyboard to continue. If the Welcome screen does not appear, try running the system recovery using the following method:

Close all software programs running in Windows.

With the HP Recovery disc one in the CD/CD-RW/DVD drive, click Start, click Shut Down, and then click Shut Down the computer.

After 30 seconds, turn the computer on by pressing the Power button.

At the Welcome to HP Pavilion Recovery window, press any key to continue.

Read the Warning message on the screen and then click OK.

Click Recover.

Select one of the Recovery methods listed below:

Format and Recover. Selecting this method will completely erase all software programs and data files before restoring the computer to its original settings. If the data files have not been saved to a disc, exit this program and save the data files before continuing.

Recover Only. HP strongly recommends trying this method first. Recovery Only will restore without erasing data files. However, some third-party software programs installed after the computer was purchased, will need to be reinstalled.

Click Yes to continue.

When prompted, replace the HP Recovery disk one with disc two. Click OK.

When the recovery process has completed, click OK.

Some settings in Windows may have to be re-entered and the Microsoft Windows license agreement will need to be completed again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the process I've used, my error appears DURING this process. I've follwed HP's advice and gone through line-by-line confirmation and just about everything else I can think of....

S

·
0 Posts
Lets go back to day one..........:D

Why were you trying to do a restore in the first place?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My computer had experienced numerous errors in WinME that seemed to be unfixable. Probably not from a virus but from a year and a half of tinkering around....adding/removing programs, etc....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.